Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BBers, Probably taking my unfair share of question time the past two weeks, I do appreciate all the support!

I was going to rebuild my clutch slave cylinder, yet when I saw how rusty it is (despite still actuating), I decided to buy a 105-series compatible one from IAP (good price on it by the way, about $55).

I am trying to remove the old cylinder from the mounting casting. I removed the snap rings and oiled it (again, very rusty), yet I cannot seem to get the casting off the cylinder.

It rotates when I out a wrench to it, however is obviously not a threaded connection so not sure how others have taken theirs apart?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks, JP

Attachments

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
JP, have you tried heating the aluminum casting with a torch and letting it cool while you attempt to separate the two parts (wear gloves)? You may have some luck using a penetrating oil like 'Liquid Wrench' too.
Good Luck,
Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,604 Posts
Which direction are you trying to pull it out? Toward the rear with the fittings or toward the front with the push rod? Obvious question, but it seems to want asking.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mark, AS always, your instructions are timely and accurate. I heated it and after a few twits it came off. I am always fearful of heating unless I know what I am heating and what it will do. Thanks for the guidance.

Don, The way I had it in the vise, I pulled it off towards the fittings, away from the pushrod.

On a final note, I thought I pressed out all the old fluid, was surprised to see more fluid boiling out. Wear your safety glasses (I always do).

Thanks, JP

·
Push hard and live
9,604 Posts
I haven't played with this type of slave cylinder, but would have thought that it pressed out toward the push-rod. Seems odd to have a press-fit cylinder, or is there something that bolts onto the back to keep it from moving forward when it is attempting to push the rod backward?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You find that the shorter slave cylinder may not work for the Montreal. The Montreal slave cylinder has a piston height of 32 mm and the compressed spring height is 10 mm. The piston has to travel 17 to 19 mm so the bore depth needs to be a minimum of 61 mm. The Montreal cylinder has a bore depth of 76 mm and an overall length of 94 mm. If the shorter cylinder is 15 mm or more shorter then it won't be long enough for the Montreal. See the write up on Bruce's web page for the details.
I had my slave cylinder resleaved in brass for about $100 some years ago. This might be a better option for you.

Gene

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Gene. I ended up with a new slave cylinder from IAP, got the old housing apart and put in the Monty pushrod. Put spring clips back in and it is in good shape! You are right, the pushrod that comes with the cylinder is way too short.

I have heard that Giorgio Penatti carries and adjustable length pushrod in case the original Monty one is no longer with the car, broken, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts