Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

Was looking for good information on rebuilding my clutch master. Been to BT's book/page and see that replacement ones are not easily obtained. Giorgio has them and they look good, trying to save $330+.

My question is this...has anyone taken their clutch m/c apart? The main pushrod withing the cylinder seems frozen and I have tried penetrating oil and compressed air....it does not move.

If there is a trick I am missing, would love to know it.

Also, if anyone has found another solution that is not covered on BT's page, I would be all ears.

Thanks, JP

·
Registered
98 Posts
clutch master

hi john!
first: be patience!! let the wd40 or something else work- pour wd 40 from both sides in- also helpfull may be gasoil (diesel) or petroleum !
second! if the piston does not move outwards- try to press it in a vice a little bit inside- in most cases it will break the rust, and then try again with compressed air- but be carefull when the piston gets moving- be save to use a c-clamp to avoid a flying canon-ball.
third: have a inspection of the inside cylinder- rehone it or let it resleve (whitepost??)

replacing the monti master clutch cylinder with that of the 22 mm serien 105, but you have to push the padal nearly to the floor! the orig. one is a 23 mm or 24 mm I dont know it now exactly.
so good luck-
greetings from an austrian alfisti
zagato1600

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the guidance....I am adopting your strategy!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi John,
I have used Giorgio Penati's kit on both our Montreals.., I highly recommend them, they fit perfectly and work as they should.., and the instructions?...sen-sa-tio-nal..!!! to the point that we did it ourselves.
Good luck,

Alberto

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alberto, thanks for The recommendation for Giorgio's stuff. I LOVED his fuel pump assembly and instructions.

I took my m/c to my local shop to see if they could get the piston out....if they can't I will be buying Giorgio's kit.

JP

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Hi JP,
I am sure that you would be happy with the kit from Giorgio. Probably a much less expensive alternative would be to send the complete master cylinder to White Post Restorations as suggested by Zagato1600. I have used them for the wheel cylinders on the Roadster 2000 with great success. They glass bead the exterior, bore out the old cylinder, press in a brass sleeve, machine everything and install a rebuild kit and repaint the cylinder so it looks like new; about $125 for a M/C or ~$75 for a wheel cylinder.

Their website is: White Post Restorations

OBTW, the brass sleeve will never rust again which is what causes most of the damage to the rubber seals in a brake cylinder.
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Mark!!

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As much as I love Giorgio, I am going the White Post way. His price is now $225 plus $20 for shipping. Will update when I get it back.

Thanks for the suggestions!

JP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts