Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a centre console for my RHD Montreal that was fitted with air conditioning from new (does not work!). I have the ash tray and switches have been relocated to where the ashtray was originally fitted.

I can make a replica to reinstate switches to the vertical panel but would rather have an original including switches. In New Zealand but happy to pay freight.

Thanks

·
Push hard and live
8,971 Posts
At one point, Giorgio Pennati offered a repo panel insert. Not sure of his status, but that’s where I would start my search.

·
Registered
177 Posts
G'day to all the Kiwi owners.

I have very recently purchased a RHD vertical panel from Giorgio. The centre console itself in your photo is not a RHD one. In order to fit it against the steering shroud, the console itself was modified in the factory. The top right corner was cut away so that the top rail of the console was shorter than standard LHD ones. A plastic corner piece was riveted in place for appearance and to hold the thing together.

This all came to light for me when Giorgio sent me a vertical panel. It didn't fit. After confirming all my theories, I sent Giorgio a drawing for him to modify the standard panel to fit into a RHD console. He did a beautiful job for me and set the chromed tubing surrounds in their new position to his usual perfection. I'm sure he still has my drawing, if you can find him these days. Just tell him you need a panel the same as the one he modified fro Rob Arbon in Sydney.

If you can't find Giorgio, I'm sure a local craftsman could modify a standard panel, available from many suppliers (Classic Alfa, for example). I'd be happy to send you my drawing if you need it.

Good luck
Rob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

This is a photo of my actual console which you can see has been 'bodged' somewhere along the way, I suspect when the air conditioning failed. Switch on bottom right is for a fan into air vents which is not standard. I would like to restore the switchgear and panel to what it would have been like when it left the factory and I suppose I could make one but I would still be missing the cigarette lighter etc and was hoping there would be a redundant one somewhere that I could at least harvest the correct switches from.

BTW I was recently lucky to be able to purchase two Euro LHD wheels from Steven Hasic to replace two of mine that were wrecked when the local Porche/Bentley dealer used their new flash tyre
machine to take the tyres off my rims so I am happy to have someone close who also loves Montreals. We have 7 in NZ and fortunately the mechanic I use to work on mine has a LHD drive Montreal so I rely on Tony for mechanical stuff but try to do the rest myself.

Latest thing I have to do is replace the original headers as they have rusted away. Any idea where I can source them rather than have to have a custom set made at rediculous$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
You can see the factory corner piece I mentioned before in the top right corner of the vertical panel. It shows how it was modified to fit to the left of the steering shroud. Of course you could buy both horizontal and vertical panels from Classic Alfa for $280AUD each......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob,

You would not believe the amount of money I have spent with Giles Amos at Classic Alfa (actually you probably do!) with the build of my 1969 1750 Veloce Spider road/race car and the recommissioning of the Monreal so I was trying to avoid that.

But also as my Montreal is period correct in every other way I would prefer 'patina' in the cabin which new parts will not provide.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi Ian.

I have a set of original headers which I'm prepared to sell. Drop me a email or call sometime and we'll sort out a deal. (contact details are in NZ Alfa registry)

Regards
Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts