Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BBers,

Merry (belated) Christmas and Happy New Year (upcoming)!

Trying to get some opinions on rebuilding the Bosch alternator for the Monty. I am having a hard time finding the rebuild parts (brushes are OK...no bearings) and I am wondering about following one of the ideas from Bruce's website about installing an upgraded alternator from ACDelco/Delco-Remy.

Looking for thoughts, opinions, experiences, etc. as to what fellow Monty owners have done.

Thanks, JP

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Auto Electric, Inc.
207 Boyer Cir, Williston, VT 05495‎
(802) 951-9990

These guys are the best. They rebuilt many starters and alternator for me for years.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
John,

I got curious so did a little digging. Found one or two pieces that might be useful.

Front alternator bearing is a Porsche 911 item (might also fit others), BOSCH 1 900 905 304.

Rear alternator bearing is also a Porsche service item, but seems to be found in Renault 12 and SAAB 99 cars, too.

Brushes seem to fit any number of other cars.

The assorted rotor hardware pieces, Bosch number 1 127 011 020 can be found here.

The rotor itself is also a Porsche 911 item, as is the stator assembly/winding.

There are other items too. In short, I suspect a lot of these rebuild parts will be available (if you cannot economically restore what you have already) - and potentially at a better price if you have the work done by a Bosch Tradition technician, which will also ensure you get a warranty for the work carried out. I guess it depends what you want to spend, but I saw several excellent certified Bosch rebuilders at last year's Essen Classic Car Show - all only a FedEx delivery away.

Hope this proves to be helpful. Get someone to scan the pages from the Montreal parts book, all the numbers and details you need are in there.

Alex.

·
Push hard and live
11,611 Posts
The bearings are certainly standard metric bearings. Just take them out and read the number on. You could get them from your local auto parts store. Most likely they use sealed versions of one or more of the 6201, 6202, or 6203. I have good luck ordering bearings from McMaster Carr.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all! Great support and advice. Will keep you posted.

I do have the parts book so found all the goodies.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
Trying to get some opinions on rebuilding the Bosch alternator for the Monty. I am having a hard time finding the rebuild parts (brushes are OK...no bearings) and I am wondering about following one of the ideas from Bruce's website about installing an upgraded alternator from ACDelco/Delco-Remy.
You didn't tell us if you are doing the rebuild yourself, or relying on an automotive electrical shop. The Bosch alternators used in 1970's era Alfas are pretty standard, sharing common parts with M-B, BMW, Volvo, ... alternators. So an experienced automotive electrical shop should have no difficulty obtaining parts. If you are doing the job yourself, then yea, you will need to improvise.

I would discourage you from installing a ACDelco/Delco-Remy alternator - it is just too non-original. If you want higher capacity or internal regulation, just go with a later model Bosch alternator, such as the model used on later spiders and Milanos.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had wanted to do it myself....I think I would rather have a pro shop rebuild it. Good advise on the non-Bosch alternators....was just curious if folks had any success there.

·
Push hard and live
11,611 Posts
I've gone thru several Bosch alternators. No big deal, actually. The thing to look out for are worn or cracked housings. If the bearing seats get worn, things get unhappy in a hurry. Also, the mounting and adjusting holes need to be good, or you get belt misalignment. The big advantage of using a pro shop for the overhaul is that they will probably have a big pile of good housing pieces to replace a bad one if you need it.

The other point of view is that even a less than perfect overhaul may still outlast the car, given how few miles these cars tend to be driven.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Don. Beleive me, outsourcing seems to be the best call here. While I would like to have that in the experience box, I simply have too many other things to do to get the car back on the road.

·
Push hard and live
11,611 Posts
Just a note...

If you've done a Bosch alternator before, the time to disassemble it is perhaps 10 minutes. Note the bearing part numbers and inspect the bearing bores in the end housing takes another 10 minutes. Order bearings from McMaster Carr, and get brushes at one of many sources - 30 minutes. Reassembly, 15 minutes.

First time to do one - double the times.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don, thanks for the note....my alternator is covered in oil (presumably from the DPOs engine failure) and the internal leads look shot. I had most of it apart to clean off as much as I could.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.