Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Welcome to the Montreal forum Zagato. I'd guess that installing A/C on a non A/C car would be a big job. If you look in Bruce Taylor's excellent "Alfa Romeo~ Montreal the Essential Companion" he has a photograph of all the correct parts layed out and there are quite a few parts!

A good friend of mine (Delmas) actually traded cars so that he could get an A/C equipped car for rebuilding rather than trying to add the system to a non-A/C car.

Also Scott M. (who sold his excellent Montreal a couple of years ago for $176K at Scottsdale AZ!) collected almost everything necessary to install A/C in his car but never was able to, or tried to complete the project. He ended up selling most of the system on ebay after the car was sold and the new owner did not purchase the system for installation.

Another good friend Tom S. sold his Montreal and bought an Alfetta. He spent a considerable amount of time installing a Vintage Air System in the Alfetta. He was very complimentary of Vintage Air; both their parts service and quality. It still required a lot of time, parts searches and innovation.

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm considering buying a Montreal and I'd like to have air conditioning (there are some health issues involved). It seems that at the moment an AC equipped car (in EU) would be a disproportionate tradeoff either in price or condition (compared to what is available without AC). I'm fine with paying a few thousand euros to get AC but not tens of thousands...

I see some NOS/used/remanufactured AC parts for sale but not engine parts (different water pump body, "pump tee", pulley and extra bearing according to alfamontreal.info). Any sources for those? Is installing them an "engine out"-job? Non-original compressor (CCI/York Super-Compact) would be fine and I could even consider separate under dash evaporator with its own vents and blower if that made interior installation easier.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Hello Azu,

Welcome to the ABB and the Montreal forum. I've never been to Finland but would like to see your country someday. My understanding is that you have long winters and many cool days; I just wonder how necessary air conditioning would be there. My car came with A/C from the factory. When I received it, the compressor was in a milk crate in the trunk (boot) along with a few other parts that had been removed from the system.

I live near Atlanta Georgia (USA) often referred to as 'Hotlanta' because it is often hot and humid here in the long summers. I would love to have working air conditioning in the Montreal but can imagine that trying to maintain a 45 year old Italian air-conditioning, would quickly drain the remaining savings from my account. I would not be surprised if you told me it cost you $5,000 just to acquire all the parts for an original Montreal A/C. An aftermarket system from Vintage Air would probably cost less and perform as well or better than the factory system but may not bring as good of a return on your investment when it came time to sell. Either way, you are probably better off starting with a car that originally came with 'air'.

Regarding engine parts, there are many suppliers for those: (see link below to Bruce Taylor's wonderful site; I strongly recommend getting a copy of Alfa Romeo~ Montreal the Essential Companion)

The Alfa Romeo Montreal Website

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Montreal-Restore-Buy-Parts-History-Book-Classic-Reprint-500-Copies/401562908356?hash=item5d7f03b6c4:g:jLsAAOSwEwZbPUGu

Mark

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hello Azu, regarding the engine parts:

- the roller bearing extension you can find on ebay, from time to time. I also saw it in some Alfa Vintage stores in Europe but I don´t remember where. Check Afra in Settimo Milanese and Classic Alfa in UK.

- I developed an aluminum pump tee (105.64.07.304.00) for my engine. I will be able to CNC one additional piece.

- I also developed a lightweight aluminum front pulley (105.64.02.014.00) for my engine. I believe I can CNC it again.

Due to added front momentum of the forces acting there, several local Alfa mechanics suggest to do this mod during an engine overhauling when you can get the crank out and run the static/dynamic balancing again, loading the two pulleys accordingly. So, I did it during the complete engine overhaul, with the engine out of the car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dear Edgar, My airconditioning crankshaft pulley is broken, the 1st v belt is cracked. Do still supply those pulleys? Regards Arnoud

·
Registered
31 Posts
Front pulley

Sud
I am a long way away in Australia. However I do have the original pulley from my vehicle.
When converting to EFI I had a new pulley machined from alloy billet so I could fit a trigger wheel to it.
See the attached images.
Happy to ship it if of interest.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine has AC and it has worked most of the time in the past 17 years. It may work well enough for Finland but like many '70's European AC systems it really doesn't have the capacity to handle summers in the American south. I really think Mark makes an excellent point about fitting a new Vintage Air system to the Montreal. Still not an easy job but I believe you would be more satisfied with the result and save some money.
Dale

·
Registered
409 Posts
AC pulley

Dear Edgar, My airconditioning crankshaft pulley is broken, the 1st v belt is cracked. Do still supply those pulleys? Regards Arnoud
Dear Arnoud,

I certainly can make another one but it will require some time. I suggest to consider the offer from verde metalliz member, which is an original part.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dear Edgar,

Sorry I did not notice you live in Brasil, your sure name made me think Italy! But is it possible to send the file of the pulley? Then I can have it machined my self locally. I need to modify this any way because I want to fit a modern compressor from a Smart ForTwo with multi V-belt.

Dear verde metalliz,

I too have EFI, programmable, see my version of sensor wheel fitted on the pulley.

Regards sud

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
AC pulley

Dear Arnoud,

Sure, I can send you the Solid Works file during this week. Do you have a prefered CAD file format? I suggest to use the aluminum alloy 6061-T6 to keep inertia and mass very low at the same time high strenght. Don´t forget to add the reinforcement front support and if your engine is disassembled you can consider the crank dynamic rebalancing with the new pulley and AC load in place.

·
Registered
409 Posts
AC pulley

Arnoud, I have the pulley CAD file ready to be sent. Will PM you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts