Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how we missed this series of videos; I guess they flew under the radar. Unfortunately it is not a 'step by step' -how to video but there is a lot of interesting information, just the same. Basically the car owner and a very experienced 'Jack of All trades' mechanic (likely an old mechanical engineer) pull the heads off, re-work the cams journals and bearings (fixing a few other issues along the way) and put the Montreal all back together, in a week.

Full disclosure; they are quite a pair, working outside (probably better) or inside in a very cluttered, disheveled work shop. Smoking all the while in what appears soon to be a fire investigation scene. One guys long, dirty fingernails really creeped me out. Still, they gained my respect along the way. Admittedly they could have been a bit more prepared and done a better job if they had ordered a new timing belt, etc. But hey, we have all been there and had to make due with what we had. This video makes a pending head gasket replacement a little less intimidating:

Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,635 Posts
Mark, Mark, Mark.....

I’m pondering what to do about a leaking 77 Spider engine, and a worse leaking 78 Alfetta engine. I’ve already crawled around for a day to replace the gasket between the Spica pump and the triangular pad it bolts to, as well as the pad to block. Still have a leak.

Can we be honest about what our combined decades of Alfa abuse has taught us?

We have two reasonable choices. Ignore it, or pull the engine and do everything.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark, Mark, Mark.....Still have a leak.
Can we be honest about what our combined decades of Alfa abuse has taught us?
Don, you got that right. Let me guess; oil is cheap, have a daily driver from Japan or both? In the last year or so I have pulled the engines and transmissions from two more Alfas. Both were resealed or completely rebuilt, making every effort to ensure 'leak free' cars. I wish it was "just a leak" -I think the original leaks have relocated to other positions.

The old, high mileage Tundra, sits outside in a more harsh environment, carries heavy loads, often tows the boat and occasionally a broken Alfa -yet demands little, other than gas and oil changes. You can't tell where it resides by looking at the driveway...

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts