Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My state requires a yearly inspection, so there was no avoiding the money spent. But the wife is having trouble understanding my logic. My car is a 1979 spider in very good condition which I have had for 2 years. To pass I needed 4 tires, front brakes inc. rotors and rebuild of the calipers and new brake hoses. The car was getting hard to start so in addition to new plugs and points, because it was running rich, the TA was replaced.
Bottom line over $2000.00 spent. I know I am the only one that can say if it was money well spent, and driving it back from the shop was as usual fun. If I had the time, with the help of a friend could have done much of this myself, so lesson learned there. Thats my vent, now I feel better, time to go out and buy something nice for my better half.

Vinnie

·
Registered
820 Posts
My state requires a yearly inspection, so there was no avoiding the money spent. But the wife is having trouble understanding my logic. My car is a 1979 spider in very good condition which I have had for 2 years. To pass I needed 4 tires, front brakes inc. rotors and rebuild of the calipers and new brake hoses. The car was getting hard to start so in addition to new plugs and points, because it was running rich, the TA was replaced.
Bottom line over $2000.00 spent. I know I am the only one that can say if it was money well spent, and driving it back from the shop was as usual fun. If I had the time, with the help of a friend could have done much of this myself, so lesson learned there. Thats my vent, now I feel better, time to go out and buy something nice for my better half.

Vinnie

of course its money well spent assuming you can still pay your rent. you bust your *** every day to grind out a living and deserve whatever makes you happy. and buying the wife something is a smart play as well.

balance is everything.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
First rule - do not keep records/reciepts. No paper trail.
Best FREAKIN advice ever. You can keep receipts but never, ever add them up.

ALL cars will require exactly what you have just done, nothing unique to the Alfa nor was the cost really any higher because it's an Alfa.

Grab a new iron for her on the way home. She will really appreciate it!! :)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Make your wife feel like she has won. Put the 79 Spider up for sale. Then bring home a new Alfa C-4 at $65,000 for a test ride. When she finds out how much the C-4 costs, she will think money you spent on the 79 is a real bargain.

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Make your wife feel like she has won. Put the 79 Spider up for sale. Then bring home a new Alfa C-4 at $65,000 for a test ride. When she finds out how much the C-4 costs, she will think money you spent on the 79 is a real bargain.

Robert
Better break open the piggy bank too-

C/L Houston

"Alfa Romeo 4C Bid Starts at 78K - $78400
Bid for New 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition

MSRP 68,400

Higher Bid takes it home

Serious Bidders Only!

Send email with your bid, only a few days before bidding ends...

Color not yet disclosed. Image shown for illustration purposes.

Only in White or Red so only bid if you want either color.

Happy Bidding!"

·
Registered
193 Posts
My dad had a philosophy about spending that was not absolutely necessary but brought pleasure. I can still hear him saying "It's cheaper than a psychiatrist".

I think this applies to the sheer enjoyment of driving an Alfa. It's a sublime pleasure that only few enjoy. We are the chosen ones!

Take your wife for a nice drive with the top down and treat her to a leisurely dinner at her favorite spot.

I'm in Ohio. Teting is required for twenty-five years. My Alfa passed the final test last month!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The Alfa Owner's Mantra

I consistently chant the Alfa Owner's Mantra:

"Yes, dear, I'm almost done; just a few hundred more dollars, mostly for safety stuff"

I recommend it to you.

Your "4 tires, front brakes inc. rotors and rebuild of the calipers and new brake hoses" are clearly safety stuff.

I, personally, am proud of you for spending your money on things that make your hobby safer, and not just wasting it. You could have probably talked your way around some of those things at the safety inspection :whistling: but you knew it was the smart thing to do to be safe.:thumbup:

Besides, you will recoup a lot of your money when you resell your car, "after you get tired of it" probably "in a few more years" so in the long run, you're not really spending that much money.

Got it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts