Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings:

I just mounted a Momo steering wheel on my 1976 Alfetta GTV. The correct Momo hub was bought on ebay, and while it fit perfectly, it left me with a challenge to get the horn wiring functioning. The original hellebore has a circular ring which picks up the horn wire from a spring-loaded contact in the steering column. The first pic here shows a similar arrangement (I did not take enough photos!). The process require you to extract that ring, along with the plastic disk it is attached to.

Cut the plastic disk so that it is the same size as the contact ring. The three mounting tabs are bent over and around to secure it to the plastic. A short piece of wire needs to be soldered to one of those three tabs . This will then be threaded through the Momo hub's small hole and fed into the horn button.

The hole in the center of the plastic disk needs to be drilled out so it can slip over the boss on the Momo hub. I secured it with glue, but you can get a pretty tight fit if you are careful. The hub boss has a few ridges on it that help grab the disk.

Perhaps a proper disk is available from Momo, but this seems to work fine. Of course, there's no going back to the original wheel!

- Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well done!
I have never seen this before.
My adapter I purchased for my 1987 GTV6 had the horn ring already attached.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Yeah - I've used the same Momo wheel and hub on all three of my Alfetta sedans, and it was basically a plug and play operation (other than wrestling off the old wheel). Maybe your hub was missing the horn connection? Mine already had a ring and a wire threaded through the center that you just clipped onto the horn button.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Well, at least you have the skills and smarts to come up with an elegant work-around! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts