Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the story on car 45 in this picture? Picture is from the SS vs. SZ book, 1961 Grand Prix of Monza. Car 39 is Elio Zagato. Number 45 looks to be a low nose SS with modified lights. I have a 1962 SS with the same lights including covers, but standard nose. The legend passed along with my car is that is was modified by Conrero, but I have never come across any evidence to prove or disprove. I can provide more info on my car, but would love to know more about car 45. Thanks.

Brian Cook

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Brian,

First off, welcome to the BB. I'm surprised that with the wealth of information that this group has at their fingertips, that no one has been able to help you. I'm no expert myself. A suggestion - member "dretceterini" seems to know the history of Alfa extremely well. You may want to private message him and ask him his opinion.

Are you a member of the Chicago chapter? If you're interested, we have a very active group and would welcome your participation. Check out www.caroc.com. We are hosting the national convention next year and it should be a great event. I also have an SS, 1961, in fair driver condition, and hope to have it ready for the Spring. There are a couple others in the Chicago area from what I've been told, but they don't seem to come out too often.

Marco

·
Registered
131 Posts
A car with similar looks as no 45 was for sale in the German Magazine Motor-Klassik about 20 years ago. That car was located in Southern Denmark (Jutland) if I remember it right there was some reference to Conrero in the add but I´m not sure.
Could it be your car ?
RGDS
Björn in Sweden

·
Registered
271 Posts
A car with similar looks as no 45 was for sale in the German Magazine Motor-Klassik about 20 years ago. That car was located in Southern Denmark (Jutland) if I remember it right there was some reference to Conrero in the add but I´m not sure.
Superleggera your memory is very good indeed!

Funny coincidence that I just purchased some old German Alfa Club mags and there I found the confirmation of what you recall:)
Sorry for the poor quality for my scan, but the original ad has already a very low resolution...
Source: Alfa Classic, Heft #30, December 1991

Best regards
Ciao Carlo:cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks Carlo that´s just the Car I did recall . One can wonder what happened to it and the questions is.......This German Car, McFee65´s car and a SS here in Sweden (which I´ve never seen only heard about) all seems to be modified in the same way bodywise and all claims "Conrero".
Are they (2-3 cars) really conrero modified in some kind of a "conrero" serial even though the SS never was a "winning" racer on the tracks.
Or are we maybe just talking 60-ties styling by owners who had a small accident to their fronts and bought some Conrero stickers ?

McFee65 what can you tell us about your car ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is what I know about my SS in about the most condensed version I can provide. I should clarify that I truly don’t care whether Conrero had anything to do with my car or not. I like that it’s a bit different and would just like to know the story as to how it got the way it did, whatever story that may be. I am open to and appreciative of all information, ideas and opinions.

A few pictures are attached. First is of the car when I bought it, partially disassembled, media blasted and then not protected resulting in surface rust all over. Next few are of metal work in progress. Don’t have a picture of the completed car for you as the car isn’t assembled yet. But just for fun, I added a picture of my son in the first TZ2, in the shop that did the bodywork on my car. He’s not looking too happy, maybe because we didn’t get to bring it home.

My car is a 1962 Giulietta SS, no. 101.20.177503. The original engine was gone, replaced by a 1600 from a very early sprint GT. All the Veloce goodies had been transferred over to the 1600. Appears to me the engine and chassis had been together a long time. The interior included a period Nardi steering wheel. Original seats had been replaced with GT Jr seats, and the carpets and panels replaced with sewn diamond pattern vinyl.

As far as I can tell, the changes to the car body are limited to the front lights. The car came with plastic covers for the lights. There is no evidence of any accident damage or repairs.

I have been able to trace the ownership as far back as 1977. A gentleman named Charles Bogner in California owned it from 1977 to 1989. I was able to locate and speak with him. He bought the car from a guy in San Clemente, CA who had two SS for sale at the time – my blue 1962 and a red 1960 (don’t know if red car had stock or altered front). The seller didn’t say there was anything unique about the car or mention Conrero, at least as far as Bogner could recall. Bogner never knew that the front of the car was not factory stock. Bogner didn’t do anything to the car other than drive it and maintain it. In 1989 he sold it to a father and son that said they were going to restore it. They immediately flipped it to an “Alfa collector”. This collector called Bogner looking for info on the history of the car.

None of the owners after Bogner ever titled the car, although I know their names and I think some or all may be known in the car collecting community. I have learned along the way that some car collectors don’t like to disclose what cars they own or have owned, so I won’t use their names in this public space. Feel free to contact me privately if you believe their identities may help provide further info on my car.

The “Alfa collector” had it for a long time, sold it to another person, who sold it to another person who sold it to me. I have some correspondence between the “collector” and the person I bought it from. The “collector” said the car was attributed to Conrero. The “collector” stated he knew Conrero reasonably well, was going to meet with him in Paris in Feb 1990 or 1991, but Conrero suddenly died the previous month. The “collector” never had any hard evidence linking the car to Conrero. He added that whoever did the body work was very talented, more so than was generally available in California at the time. The person that bought the car from the “collector” apparently independently attributed the car to Conrero.

A mechanic friend and I stripped the car down to the bare shell for restoration. In the process I found an Italian coin in the interior: .50 Lire, 1962. I felt this coin would have been easily discovered and removed if it was there when the interior work was done. In which case this coin most likely found its way into the car after the interior work – suggesting the interior work may well have been done in Italy.

All of the body restoration including paint has been completed, was performed by Skip McCabe in the Chicago area. Skip is very well known and respected, particularly with Italian cars. Much of his work has appeared at Pebble Beach, etc. His opinion is the modifications are very high quality work and were done in Italy long ago.

I checked with Elvira at Alfa, my car was made July 7, 1962, delivered to Allesandro Servodei in Genova, Italy. Nothing in Alfa’s records indicate anything unusual or different about the car.

If you are still reading, hope this was somewhat interesting.

Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
not specifically related to this car, but one small thing... I am not the only one who throws an old Lire coin under the carpet when I am finished restoring it......
This to provoke people.... Serious, I do that!!!
;)

Rik

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
FYI: "curami" identified the car in post #1 in post #280 of The complete SVZ file thread as belonging to Aristodemo Molteni, who modified it himself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts