Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was some discussion recently on the awkward driving position caused by the placement of the gas pedal, but I cannot find the thread. Anyway, here is a picture of my modified pedal. I just sawed the top off of it and drilled two new holes for the attachment screws. I can now get my right knee under the steering wheel.
Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
2 x 88 Verde's

Attachments

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Gas Pedal

Ed:
I've been thinking about doing something like that too. I really don't like the idea of having my right leg in he bent position, especially for a long drive. Where exactly did you cut the pedal?
Also I did solve another driving position problem. I'm only 5' 7" and my left leg is not long enough to rest on the firewall during long drives. I took the dead pedal from my 1990 Miata and screwed it into the floor. It's a little higher than I would like it, but it is a whole lot better than it had been. I was able to pick up another dead pedal for my Miata off of e-bay for $20.00
Ray

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Hmmm ... now you cannot hell (on throttle) and toe (on the brake), which is why it was designed that way (ie. so long).

Pete

·
Premium Member
13,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PSK:
I was never able to heel and toe with the long pedal. I always used the outside of my foot to blip the throttle. This is easier with the shorter pedal.
Ed

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Agreed. The hanging pedal Spica cars never did lend themselves to easy heal/toe (for me anyway). With the brakes applied, the gas pedal could be 2-3 inches above the brake pedal. Hence the manufacture of the Shankle heal/toe kit or mods to the existing pedal.

Ed,
Have you accounted for the reduced pedal travel as it applies to full throttle?

·
Premium Member
13,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jim:
I don't understand the question. Shortening the pedal did not reduce the operating range of the linkage. I should take a look at the throttle stop under the pedal to verify that it still limits the travel.
But knowing me, I could be missing something obvious.
Ed

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Tifosi,

I take it that the picture you posted of the gas pedal mod is actually a replacement for the exsisting gas pedal? Does the sole of your shoe actually ride on the roller bearings? Did the plan specify what size roller bearing to use?

Ed, sorry if we are hijacking the thread but it seems close to on subject:eek:

·
Administrator
16,347 Posts
I take it that the picture you posted of the gas pedal mod is actually a replacement for the exsisting gas pedal? Does the sole of your shoe actually ride on the roller bearings? Did the plan specify what size roller bearing to use?
More info with pictures here: increased leg room

·
Premium Member
13,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Jim:
You were right as usual. I had to adjust the throttle stop for WOT.
Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
PSK:
I was never able to heel and toe with the long pedal. I always used the outside of my foot to blip the throttle. This is easier with the shorter pedal.
Ed
That is surprising (ie. an Alfa that does not lend itself to heal and toe), but sounds like your've sorted it :).

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
In any modern car that I drive, I can drive for hours without any leg/foot discomfort as the angle of my foot in relations to my shin feels like about 110 degrees. But in my Spider where the angle between my foot and shin only feels like about 90 degrees, the top part of my ankle area starts to get sore from strain on drives of an hour or more. It seems like most people implement either of these mods for more legroom, but has anybody implemented one of them to address foot strain, or found that either has resulted in the foot sitting in a more relaxed position?

Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
Now if there were only a solution for standing pedals.....
That would be great Chris - let me know if you find one - a temporary solution I used when touring Ireland is to put a small cushion or some-such under your right leg just on the edge of the seat squab - that gives your leg and ankle some relief from the awkward angle - I found that it wasn't a problem when enjoying myself on the back roads but more so on long boring flat roads where your ankle tends to stay at the same angle for long periods of time

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Well I made one and tried it.
It gives the extra leg room that every writes about, and I can't really tell if it changes the angle of my foot much or at all.
It'll take a long drive to tell. But as is, allows me to operate the pedal using different parts of a my foot, which might help some.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Mike, that's something that looks like it should help. How long ago did you install it? I'm assuming (!) that you've been driving with it around town??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts