Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as a matter of interest; we are out of the 50mm custom intake runners, but I sold my last set to a guy with a big-bore 12v project, so we modified the intake plenum utilizing two standard Milano / GTV6 intake plenums!

I sectioned the one off center-left and the 2nd plenum off center-right and had my TIG guy weld the two larger halves together. the bottom was jigged off of the position of the standard runners and then we made a brand new bottom plate, machined rings and welded them on, radiused the inside edges of the down-stubs and welded the bottom plate to the new plenum.

I had it finished in a 2000 degree thermal heat-barrier coating and now the customer can just source some 50mm silicone tube to cut his connector stubs and buy some nice T-clamps!

I figure the volume is about 40% higher.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Nice work, JJ !
Are you taking orders or this time showing from a project? Have seen this solution on a 24V engine. Could these parts(yours) be used on a 24V engine also? The 3,2L GTA engine has an inner diameter of 43mm, so 50mm would possibly be too large?

Here a photo of a V6 24V with double plenum:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Wow, that was a lot of work. I hope it gives good results. For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother with T-Bolt clamps there. They are difficult to work with in a tight spot, and the higher clamping forces are not needed in that location.

Greg

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Nah - the 50mm runners was a speculative project that I funded in part and it cost thousands of dollars to kick off initially!. We had to order 50 pieces (got two left - wonder why...!?) It took me 6 years to get my money back and I just sold the last full set (with this special, one-time, enlarged plenum), for a big-bore project down in Oz.

The solution works on a 24v and I like the symmetric look of the 12v plenums, but they are small and the flow to the two forward cylinders has always been a questionable issue... At least the enlarged plenum addresses the additional back-stop requirements of a larger displacement motor. Still, I’d probably do a custom plenum instead, or convert to the flopped-over-to-the-one-side look of the 164-styl;e plenum with the enlarged / expanded section at the rear and the intake at the center of it all like I have done on my black 24v street Milano!

Right on the T-clamps Greg!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mutant plenum! Or "plenumnum," if you will.

JJ, you didn't tell me about this :eek: Do you know the volumes of the stock and mostro plenums? I need some numbers to geek out on...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts