Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Just got my a/c fixed (minro leak on a new-to-me '92 164L) and it's very modest in terms of cooling.

I don't mind, I love heat, and with the sunroof it's perfect. But during rain, etc, the a/c is slight at best.

Which is odd for me, as my GTV6 and Alfetta GTV would put frost on the vents.

So, is this modest a/c normal for a 164, and if so, are there ways to improve this, or is something still wrong?

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
I get 39F air at dash vents on both my 91 164B with R12.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is R12 the original, or is that R134? I get confused.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
R12 91-93 USA, R134a 94-95 USA models.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
A/c

There have been many threads on the (marginal) power of air conditioning in 164s. The consensus is that the system is under-sized for the car.

I had it lucky: My 94 is a daily driver and I went from a garage at home to underground parking at my employer. The car never had the opportunity to sit in the direct sun, which was a blessing since it is black.

I now seek shady parking spots in warm weather.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
My 164L had great AC with 134, that is till it all leaked out! I think I may have overcharged it though, with 4 cans of r134, as I think you are only supposed to put in 85% or so of what is called for for R12, and I did not check the high side preassure. An AC tech of mine told me to try freeze12. I thought this might be a good alternative, but several people on the board have been against it. I may give it a try, though not after a new reciever drier.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ackits.com-

heh, they have a/c kits for a 1964 AMC ambassador, but not even a categorey for Alfas!

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Digger said:
ackits.com-

heh, they have a/c kits for a 1964 AMC ambassador, but not even a categorey for Alfas!

I offer oversized condensers for the 164 in a Parallel flow design which is 35% better at removing heat than older designs.
My condesner takes up most of the available space in the compartment to take advantage of the ram air.

New O-rings, expansion valve, A/C filter, new oil for R12, flushing the system at least twice are a must for optimum cooling. Our larger condenser has been proven to work extremely well here in Phoenix.

A/C filter must be changed anytime you open the system and expanson valves are notorious for clogging up as well as condensers over time.

Let me know if I can help? I have O-rings, condensers, expansion valves, and A/C filters in stock.

Ciao!

Jason

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jason-

That's fantastic! How much of my soul do I have to sell to buy your nice new kit?

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Digger said:
Jason-

That's fantastic! How much of my soul do I have to sell to buy your nice new kit?
I don't take souls! Sorry!

check the website for details

Just an option for you. A/C kits.coms condensers are not very well made. MADE IN CHINA.

Ours made right here in the US. High quality P-flow aluminum condensers.

E-mail me and we can talk there.

Ciao!
Jason

·
Registered
460 Posts
My 164S AC works well (when it works). Here in Houston with high temps and high humidity w/ Freeze12 I am usually getting around 40 degree vent temps. The only problem is it seems my expansion valve is sticking. At times the vent temps change by 10-15 degrees. 164 AC is light years better than any other Alfa I have owned. Still not up to new car standards, but much better than I expected.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Does the Alfa 164 has an A/C filter? This one is the cabin air filter, isn't it?
Yes, it has cabin a/c filter. It is located in black evaporator box behind false firewall. Pop open the long thin rectangular black door located parallel to and behind black receiver dryer cylinder. If original the filter maybe a black plastic frame with foam or "horsehair like" replaceable element. Filter frame opens like a click open book. I use foam filter material from Home Depot, etc. for house window a/c and cut to size. Later model 164s and Saab 9000 have a modern replaceable element you might find on ebay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts