Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '74 Spider's presumably non-original (but who knows?) Bosch "yellow cellophane tape wrapped" voltage regulator finally gave up. Before I get to its replacement, some (..OK, much..) digression. Alfa calls this a voltage regulator, huh? Nah. My '65 MGB had a voltage regulator. A real Lucas voltage regulator, with a series of electro-magnets and breaker relays that appeared to be designed for handling the current loads of a small hamlet in North Oxfordshire. If the ignition light flickered momentarily at an inappropriate moment, a bit of polishing with a plastic-flexi-contact breaker file would resurrect it - good [sic] as new [sic].

This Bosch unit? Puhh - while my first attempt at the above procedure managed to extend its serviceable life by about 6 years(!) and 15K miles.. when attempting an encore recently, I was only able to squeeze a few hours of service from the much-pitted mechanical-point unit, with a steadily lit GENERAT [sic] lamp warning me of troubles to come . And what's with the cheesy stamped/pressed metal cover, requiring super-human screwdriver-blade wedging-action - and thoughts of an accompanying ER visit - to get at the moving bits? What's wrong with a bakelite cover and machine-screws, Herr Produktchef? A first step on the slippery slope to planned-obsolescence if I ever saw one. Now, where was I..? oh yeah..

I checked the options on offer at IAP: a $51 std. replacement and a $21 adjustable unit - both appearing suspiciously non-Euro-sourced (probably a good thing) and solid-state (maybe a good thing - but not terribly consoling to my inner techno-retro-grouch soul). An adjustable unit seemed a bit ambitious, especially in peacetime [sic], so I veto'd that and poked around the web, finding a claimed equivalent, non-adjustable, VR replacement on the NAPA parts search site. Two "on-order" days later, without even requiring prepayment of my $31, and it's installed. One originality caveat - this slightly smaller unit has a pigtail attachment for the male plug, as opposed to a built-in receptacle, as found - correctly - on the IAP part. It appears to work as per the original, even down to the comforting mild red glow visible at night when the Spica fuel cut-out/decel solenoid energizes.

Serenity restored.

NAPA: https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=MPEVR503SB_0194287258&An=0

Part #: MPE VR503SB

Incidentally, if anyone knows where I can find another one of the points files I mentioned above, I'd love to find a replacement. It's very thin, narrow (about 1/4") and seems to be made of a relatively stiff, tough plastic/nylon, with tiny granules of hard/crystalline sand embedded on the surface of both sides - almost like a slightly flexible, honing stone. It came with some generic "tune up" kit that I bought decades ago - and works for smoothing/polishing points like nothing else I've ever used.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Incidentally, if anyone knows where I can find another one of the points files I mentioned above, I'd love to find a replacement. It's very thin, narrow (about 1/4") and seems to be made of a relatively stiff, tough plastic/nylon, with tiny granules of hard/crystalline sand embedded on the surface of both sides - almost like a slightly flexible, honing stone. It came with some generic "tune up" kit that I bought decades ago - and works for smoothing/polishing points like nothing else I've ever used.
So I'm guessing you don't have enough women in your life to have seen piles of emory boards they leave laying about all over the place when they are done playing with thier fingernails? (have a bunch of daughters and the things will gather faster than dust bunnies under the fridge or nylons hanging in the bathroom)

Granted they are a little broader than the points file (narrow ones go around 1cm, but most can be cut with scissors to custom widths) but beyond that you get to choose things like grit (same on both sides, different on both sides, course, fine, etc.) and overall stiffness of the board proper due to whatever material the paper is bonded to (thin wood, plastic, flexible foam) length is an option too from a couple inches (purse model I guess) to around 6 inches.

For a buck or two you can even get a bulk pack at the local dollar store if you want to try out a few styles or like to have them laying around the shop like manly tools of use instead of around the house like effite little table finish scratchers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts