Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the following from AlfaStorico:

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1531178 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce USA (105.51), manufactured on the 15th May 1970 and sold on the 18th May 1970 to Alfa Romeo Inc. from Newark, U.S.A.

The body colour is amaranth red, with wild boar leather skai interiors.

My car is titled as a 1969, but sold in 1970. Is this correct, even though Storico says the car was built in May 1970?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
There were no 1970 Alfa's:(. 1969's were sold thru 1970 and labeled as 1969:).

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
DMV doesn't always get it right

Similar issue to mine. Registered as a '67 but clearly a '69. :confused:Not sure how it got that way - via the PO providing bad info or the DMV having bad info in a database somewhere. I don't worry about it though am careful from a insurance perspective. They will track it from the VIN and what you provide them needs to tie back to that info.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Got the following from AlfaStorico:

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1531178 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce USA (105.51), manufactured on the 15th May 1970 and sold on the 18th May 1970 to Alfa Romeo Inc. from Newark, U.S.A.

The body colour is amaranth red, with wild boar leather skai interiors.

My car is titled as a 1969, but sold in 1970. Is this correct, even though Storico says the car was built in May 1970?
My car is titled as a 69 also. It is clearly a USA series 1 and so either the documentation is wrong or it is simply not true that there were no USA 1750 GTVs built in 1970.

"According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1530772 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce USA (105.51), manufactured on the 15th January 1970 and sold on the 20th January 1970 to Alfa Romeo Rexdale from Ontario, Canada.
The body colour is musk green, with wild boar leather skai interiors."

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
My limited understanding is that once Federal regulations came into play starting Jan 1, 1968, the regulations got tougher every year leading to the five-mile per hour bumper standard and the almost universal adoptation of the catalytic converter (unleaded gas) for 1975. Back in the day Alfa did not offer a 1968 because of the inability at the time to meet the regulations. I do not know if there were new regulations for 1970, but it is true that no 1970 model for introduced for the US, the evidence of this thread confirms that units were manufactured and shipped to the US in 70 but were represented as '69 models. The question might be did the factory and importer at the time engage in any monkey business? Alfas often sat in the dealership and didn't sell in the year the car was designated. My 72 berlina has an 8/72 build plate and was sold, according to the DMV, in 1973. My BMW 1600 which has a factory model year designation of 1968 on the serial number plate, was built on 12/20/67 and imported at the port of NY on 1/4/68.

·
Registered
620 Posts
It seems to be even more confusing in that my "USA 1750" was sent to Ontario. I wonder if other countries received USA spec cars built in 1970. I was ready to believe that it is correct to say that USA 1750s were built in 1970 but simply not shipped to the USA. However the Newark delivery (Bondavi) argues against that.
John

·
Registered
620 Posts
BTW, I can understand the possibility that 1969 cars were delivered to the USA in 1969-1970 but it seems hard to believe that Alfa simply stopped producing GTVs for an entire year (1970). Just what is the evidence that this is true?
John

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
My limited understanding is that once Federal regulations came into play starting Jan 1, 1968, the regulations got tougher every year leading to the five-mile per hour bumper standard and the almost universal adoptation of the catalytic converter (unleaded gas) for 1975. Back in the day Alfa did not offer a 1968 because of the inability at the time to meet the regulations. I do not know if there were new regulations for 1970, but it is true that no 1970 model for introduced for the US, the evidence of this thread confirms that units were manufactured and shipped to the US in 70 but were represented as '69 models. The question might be did the factory and importer at the time engage in any monkey business? Alfas often sat in the dealership and didn't sell in the year the car was designated. My 72 berlina has an 8/722 build plate and was sold, according to the DMV, in 1973. My BMW 1600 which has a factory model year designation of 1968 on the serial number plate, was built on 12/20/67 and imported at the port of NY on 1/4/68.
You are correct about the regulations getting more stringent for smog. There were times when AR did not import to the US...1968, 1970. What AR did in the interim was ship enough cars over to hold the dealers over until the newer cars could be delivered. In 1968, they were developing the Spica injection and dual brake systems, besides the intro of the Berlina. In 1970 AR loaded up the docks again with alot of cars to hold the dealers over until the 1971 cars came over with higher headlights, a new spider and an improved Spica fuel pump. There were some interior upgrades along the way as well. The '69 spider my ex wife had, was made in 69 and sold in late 1970. There are instances of 101 cars being made in 1965 and sold as late as 1967! There were alot of independant dealers then that couldn't turn over alot of stock and were holding onto cars for a long time on the lots. Hope this clarifies some of the late registrations.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
BTW, I can understand the possibility that 1969 cars were delivered to the USA in 1969-1970 but it seems hard to believe that Alfa simply stopped producing GTVs for an entire year (1970). Just what is the evidence that this is true?
John
To clarify (hopefully) It is not that Alfa didn't make cars in 1970, it is that they did not offer a US specific model(s) for 1970. The US was a small maket for Alfa, maybe 5% ir less of their annual production

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
To clarify (hopefully) It is not that Alfa didn't make cars in 1970, it is that they did not offer a US specific model(s) for 1970. The US was a small maket for Alfa, maybe 5% ir less of their annual production
Thank you for clarifying this. Your right, AR did make cars, just didn't export to our market. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Bondavi,
Although I don't have the exact VIN and dates in front of me, it almost sounds like your's is a twin to mine ie. color, dates, etc
Mine is tagged as being built either Sept or Oct 1969, but when AR Italy is queried they tell me that my car was actually built in either March or May of 1970 and sold to AR Newark around the same time.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
The build date of my US-spec '69 Spider was April 15, 1970, and although it is a Spica-equipped US-spec car, according to AR it was originally sold to a dealer in Canada.

·
Registered
620 Posts
documentation

Some very interesting ideas. I wonder whether there is any literature that describes the "behind the scenes" marketing strategies involving AR and dealerships around the world during that period. Given that the USA was such a small market, why AR had a specific set of specs for USA, that were also used for cars sent to other countries, is a mystery.

Anyway, in exploring different links here I've found evidence to support the idea that the official archives are not to be trusted in all cases. Someone (unfortunately I didn't bookmark the post) with a step-front sprint GT sent the VIN info to the archives and the reply was that the serial number corresponded to a GTA! The owner replied that this is not possible for a number of reasons, not least of which was the extensive rust where you would not find it on a GTA. The archives responded with an apology and admitted that the records could not be correct.:confused:

On my "1970" 69 GTV, the archives got everything else right (interior/exterior color) so the dates are the only thing that is suspect.
John

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
It appears that side markers:( and tail lights were part of the issue. The '69's had the small circle side markers :cool: while the '71's and later had the larger rectangle :)mad:to some like Frank:D) side markers and larger rear tail light lens. I'm not sure but '71's might also have gotten bumper over riders. These changes apparently were needed for a '70 year car but I guess Alfa wasn't ready yet to put them on.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I had a 70 spider, I know, none were imported. my son has a 69 spider and there are differences, his has no "scoop" for cold air intake, mine did. mine was a 1750 like his, with spica also. I bought it back in the early 70's from a leasing company in wichita ks, where it had been a company car for Instrument Flight Research where I was working. I always thought it was a 69 labled as a 70 by the state after the year it was registered.

cliff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts