Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Series 1 Euro 1750s however, having twin filament BiLux bulbs and Carello in script letters, have both main and dipped beams in the outer lights meaning that with the main beams selected, all four headlights are on.
Trying to understand the original fitment of headlamp bulbs for my '68 GTV (Australian RHD). Did they have the bilux bulb in both the inner and outer headlamps? If so the low-beam filament of the inner lamps would not be activated.

If not, what bulb was fitted to the inner high beams?

thanks!
Evan.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Evan,
My 68 GTV has twin filament bulbs in the outer larger lights, which are h7 halogen. These are originally from a 2000GTV as they have a nicer looking headlight glass pattern.
The inner bulbs are H1, which are a single filament. These are the original Carello lights.
Will anyone still have the original outer headlights 40 years on?
Ian

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Did they have the bilux bulb in both the inner and outer headlamps?
Yes, the parts book shows a bilux bulb in the inner and outer headlamps on both LHD and RHD Mk1 cars. The low beam filament on the inner lamps is not used (think of them as a convenient place to carry two spare low beam bulbs). The Mk2 and 2000 are different in both bulbs and headlamp wiring.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jim,

Can an H4 globe be fitted in replacement (i.e. in the same fixture)?

cheers, Evan.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
The H4 and bilux globe bases are different sizes; 43mm vs 45mm but I don't recall which is which. But it Allegerita has provided the answer.

There are H4 bulbs with a Bilux base available...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Will anyone still have the original outer headlights 40 years on?
I recv. 2x new/old stock Carello headlights (08.480.700) just today for the Duetto resto... after much looking. So yes they're out there.

Very shiney... I paid less for my first car though:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts