Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is is just my car or is it normal to have a mixture of Metric and UNF brake pipe nuts / flare nuts?

My car, a '72 GTV2000 has dual brake circuits and ATE calipers. All looks original including the plastic sleeves on some of the pipes.

The calipers are M10 x 1.0 pitch male tube nuts the rest appears to be 7/16 or 3/8" UNF!

And while I on - anyone got a source for 7/16" male flare nuts (for 1/4" pipe) but made in stainless steel?? All the rest I either have in stainless or can source!

Thanks, Matt

·
Premium Member
23,107 Posts
I am pretty certain the threads on the Lockheed boosters on my Berlina were non-metric, but everything else was metric. So I'm with you.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
23,107 Posts
Well, the Lockheed booster were made in the UK, and probably Alfa just bought them off the shelf, with whatever threads they came with.
The Bonaldi/Benditalia/Dunlop boosters are based on a British booster too, so some or all of those might have similar issues.
And don't forget the first 105 cars had Dunlop brakes, and late 101 cars had Girling. So those threads are probably non-metric too.
Andrew

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Yes, it is quite normal to have different size fittings (and in varying degrees depending on the model). Some brakelines can even have an ISO bubble flare on one end and a double inverted flare on the other. :eek:

·
Premium Member
23,107 Posts
This stuff is, how you say, a nightmare.
It was only on learning all this years later than I understood why it felt like I was stripping the threads after converting my 69 Berlina from Lockheeds to Bonaldis. Held pressure though.
Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts