Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1964 Giulia Spider Normale, 1991 164S 5-speed
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there is a better descriptive name for these panels. They appear to help direct air to the radiator. My car (not pictured) is missing them so a lot of air goes right by the rad.
Does anyone have a spare set or some guidelines for fabricating a pair?. I'm guessing they are hard plastic? These seem like an ideal item for 3-D printing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Plastic bulkhead pieces. I may have a set, must search through some boxes.

·
Premium Member
16,706 Posts
I suspect many are just thrown away when a 164 is trashed.

I'm not really sure they are needed, as at speed, the amount of air blowing through the radiator is probably sufficient even without the shields, and at idle, car not moving, the fan is going to pull through whatever air it can, and the shields then mean little or nothing. With them gone, more cooler air can flow through the engine bay, keeping it a little cooler in general?

For the 24V engine, many take off the lhs part (driver's side), to enable cooler air to blow past the hot ignition modules which are under the aircleaner box. Only thing to remember then is to be sure to clean and lube with dielectric grease their attached multiconnectors. That's the way I ran my LS with zero coolant problems.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plastic bulkhead pieces. I may have a set, must search through some boxes.
That would be awesome. My mechanic felt that they are beneficial for cooling flow, especially the larger one on the driver's side.

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
I am sure there is a better descriptive name for these panels. They appear to help direct air to the radiator. My car (not pictured) is missing them so a lot of air goes right by the rad.
Does anyone have a spare set or some guidelines for fabricating a pair?. I'm guessing they are hard plastic? These seem like an ideal item for 3-D printing.

Thanks.
View attachment 1674565
I have them if needed.

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
I recall there may have been a TSB about removing these at some point for the 24V car,,, been a long time so I can;t remember exactly...

Reactions: Del

·
Premium Member
16,706 Posts
I remember the same thing, thus I removed the driver's side one for better 24V ignition electronic components cooling. As I had surmised previously, I'm not sure they are needed in any case if one thinks about what is happening when. But, just my thoughts about them. I do have them on my 91S, and might try an experiment to see if the engine temp gauge reads differently at various times.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember the same thing, thus I removed the driver's side one for better 24V ignition electronic components cooling. As I had surmised previously, I'm not sure they are needed in any case if one thinks about what is happening when. But, just my thoughts about them. I do have them on my 91S, and might try an experiment to see if the engine temp gauge reads differently at various times.
The car is new to me so I don't have many data points but coolant seemed to be about 210-220°F while moving on a 60°F day. However, I'm in California and it was 79°F yesterday (yes, in February). I'm looking for any extra cooling flow I can get. If removing them for 24V cars allows flow around the radiator, then having them in place would seem to be useful for increased flow to the radiator. Worth a shot. I have a '91S.

·
Premium Member
16,706 Posts
I don't think it changes the flow through the radiator if the shields are not there, the car speed being enough to do the job. The fan almost never runs when the car is moving, except maybe in stop and go. When the fan runs, it pulls air through the radiator regardless of any effect the shields might have, IMO. Still, use them if you got them I guess. Makes the area look a little neater if nothing else.

The removal for the 24V cars is supposedly to keep the ignition modules from overheating and failing when driving down the road. They are fragile anyway, had one fail on me. Never had an overheating problem with the LS set up that way. They almost need their own little duct and fan for controlling their temps, esp at idle. Either that or a couple of those little electric cooling devices, as found in 12V mini hot/cold boxes for cars.

My 91S temps always indicate approx 175-190F, regardless of how I drive, all year around here. Just a thought, check the coolant temperature of your car at the thermostat housing with a temperature laser gun. See if your gauge is reading correctly. If it is, check the temperature at idle when the fan turns on to see what the temperature is then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts