Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a recently acquired series 3 car that was running great. On a recent drive lost cyl 4. #4 spark plug appeared to be fouling, so replaced all with Champion copper. Bought new plug wire for cyl 4. Confirmed spark at idle. Unplugged injector, not much change.

Can these be cleaned? I can get a rebuilt from Rock Auto for $26, worth a shot?

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,050 Posts
"Rebuilt" is likely a misnomer. The injectors cannot be rebuilt in that none of the internal parts are accessable/replaceable. The inlet screen & seals can be replaced and the internal parts cleaned but that is not my definition of rebuilt.

OK Injectors do all the above. They'll send them back to you with a full report of pre & post service results.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you do a compression test?
Andrew
Thanks for the quick replies. Andrew, I didn't do a compression test because it was running so well, then like a plug fouled. (Also because I lent to my brother for his Guilia Spider) "Italian tune up" did not work.
Idles very well, but off idle runs on 3 cylinders.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still running on 3 cyl, sounds like a WRX. Compression good, all cyl around 100, good spark,
and diode tester shows power to the injector. Can hear injector clicking with a stephe scope. Clogged injector? Anyone had any luck with Techron to clear a clogged injector?

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
Is that good compression? If all even I would suspect gauge accuracy. I just checked a 1750 with 190lbs my own 1750 GTV has 200psi??

·
Premium Member
21,711 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to even run at numbers around 100. All are those numbers? Did you open the throttle when testing? Makes a big difference.
Andrew

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to even run at numbers around 100. All are those numbers? Did you open the throttle when testing? Makes a big difference.
Andrew
Yes throttle open, did seem low but balanced. Can't vouch for tester, borrowed from Autozone. Did not add oil to check the rings.

Starts easily and runs great on 3, still suspect clogged injector. This car was running great, then lost #4.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yes throttle open, did seem low but balanced. Can't vouch for tester, borrowed from Autozone. Did not add oil to check the rings.

Starts easily and runs great on 3, still suspect clogged injector. This car was running great, then lost #4.
swap the njector with another cylinder and see if the issue follows the injector to that cylinder and if # 4 starts working...

·
Administrator
17,050 Posts
Without removing it you can try this:

Remove the spark plug of the cylinder in question. Turn the engine until you can see the intake valve open (you'll be able to see the edge of the valve via the spark plug hole).

Cycle the ignition on-off-on-off-on-off to pressurize the fuel rail (each time you switch 'on' the fuel pumps will run for a moment).

Apply 12V + & - to the fuel injector's terminals (polarity does not matter) while watching for it to squirt at the back of the intake valve (via the spark plug hole). Just briefly apply the 12V and the injector should squirt each time. After 3-5 brief squirts fuel pressure will have dropped and it will stop spraying.

No squirt = faulty injector. Good squirt = fault elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts