Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with my Giulia 1300 Ti. The body number has been removed at sometime it's long 42 years of life. For some reason or another the numbers have been welded over with a oxy touch never to be seen again. I know this sounds dodgy as hell but from want i know of the car it has not had a dodgy life, BUT the car was imported from South Africa back in the early 70's so anything could have happened over there?

My question is WHAT DO I DO NOW?
The car has been off the road for that long that the plates that it was registed with (that have in my posession) have no carjam or electronic data for them.

How do I cert a car with no chassis No.?
I do have a couple of ideas but they do require another guilia 1300 ti (which i don't) and are just as dodgy

Please help

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that does help thank you. I was worried that car would get caught up in paper work due to the lack of paper work I have on the car (it was thrown out and burnt by accident). I guess the next thing to do is to get the thing road legal
Thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
Nick,

Same thing happened to my 1.3 Super here in Australia. From what I have been able to find it was a consulate car (some consulate worker brought it with them into Oz when stationed here) and was assembled in South Africa. For some stupid reason upon entry (or exit from South Africa) the chassis and engine numbers were removed (chassis was welded over - engine number ground off).

Seems to have been a South African thing (maybe an ploy to not identify the SA cars due to the country's blockade etc.?)

Barry Edmunds over here (Giulia register) has found similar occurances.

I have the same dilemma with mine, not exactly sure what year it is!!!

Its either a 73 or 74 , who knows.

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply I feel a little better now that I know my car was not the only one. Sorry to hear you can't tell the year of your car.

·
Registered
457 Posts
No problems Nick!

Enough details to says its a 1300 super (as per Fusi) but just not sure of the year.

It's funny, when I first got it I couldn't tell where it was from exactly (could have been from South Africa or Malaysia - both RHD). The give away was the seat belt buckles
had the word "DRUK" which means 'press' in Dutch / Afrikaans.

So that made it South African!

Cheers.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,881 Posts
That`s a USA thing only. If the car has been registered in NZ previously that helps as the car would have had a chassis number registered with the registration number so there must be some trail. You may have to pay for a manual check at Palmerston North where the national vehicle register is where they can cross reference with the old plates you have

·
Registered
26 Posts
Chassis numbers

I think some Giulia saloons were assembled in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe)during sanctions at the BMC factory in Umtali along with Isuzu trucks,which had no badges or identification.There were many strange things happened to keep in front of the Brits .
Keith

·
Administrator
13,445 Posts
If it was my car, and if you really think the chassis number was welded over, I would cut that piece out of the bulkhead so you could see the chassis number as hopefully the stamping on the inside would still be readable.

I would then purchase some stamps and a piece of metal and stamp the number in it and weld this piece back into the bulkhead, clean all welds ... paint and nobody would be any the wiser.

I though would document via photos incase somebody ever challenged you.
Pete
ps: Note GTV's ALSO have the chassis number below the rear window in the boot opening frame ... would Guilia saloons do the same?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info, I will take that all on-board.

I have tried to look from the inside of the car and have where the stamp is but cant get a good look at it. I think I will get a fine angle grinder blade and cut it out, as it is no good to me the way it is at the moment.

No this number is on the fire wall in the engine bay right in the middle just below the wind screen wipers.

I can cleanly see where the number should be and it actually looks brazed over.

·
Administrator
13,445 Posts
I've corrected by previous post but so you will notice:

Note GTV's ALSO have the chassis number below the rear window in the boot opening frame ... would Guilia saloons do the same?
Pete

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not seen any numbers but the windows screen is out so maybe if look for it. I really hope they are there it save me so many problems

·
Administrator
13,445 Posts
I have not seen any numbers but the windows screen is out so maybe if look for it. I really hope they are there it save me so many problems
The numbers on a GTV are in the channel around the boot lid opening.

Pete

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
My Super just has the Tipo number 10528 in that channel, but it is an earlier year

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
Note GTV's ALSO have the chassis number below the rear window in the boot opening frame ...
Slight correction; the number stamped in the boot frame is the vehicle TYPE number, not the chassis number.

·
Administrator
13,445 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will take that all on-board.

I have tried to look from the inside of the car and have where the stamp is but cant get a good look at it. I think I will get a fine angle grinder blade and cut it out, as it is no good to me the way it is at the moment.

No this number is on the fire wall in the engine bay right in the middle just below the wind screen wipers.

I can cleanly see where the number should be and it actually looks brazed over.
If its been brazed over could you just melt it out?

And sorry about the mistake re number in boot frame.
Pete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts