Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had terrific service from a firm in Detroit.. Frank Wright Glass 14808 Gratiot Ave Detroit M! 48205 313-521-1888 also on the net....

They did a tapered glass Sprint GT rear view mirror (discussed in another thread) and a curved glass RVM for a Giulietta Sprint..each $50. Very fast turnaround within 2 weeks from my box and return. Very professional and don't whine because the job is so small. Tell them Rick from MA sent you because he wanted more business like this.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Rick,

Did you send them your entire mirror or just the glass ? The day/night mirror on the Flaminia could use re-silvering, but getting it apart is a puzzle I'm in no hurry to attempt myself.

Sounds like you're all set for spring . . .

Thanks,
Don

·
Supporting Vendor
4,390 Posts
I have been looking for a place to re-silver the mirror in my Super, thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I have been looking for a place to re-silver the mirror in my Super, thank you for the tip.
Hi Joe, pretty sure the mirror in the Super is just a cut piece of standard mirror. Unless you have a GT one in there.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,390 Posts
Hi Joe, pretty sure the mirror in the Super is just a cut piece of standard mirror. Unless you have a GT one in there.
Mine is definitely tapered glass, it may be from a GT.

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The mirror is a 7" x <3" symmetrical one from a '69 GT Jr . Yes, you need to disassemble it and send only the glass. This model mirror has a tapered glass, top to bottom and has a small cardboard pad glued in place at the bottom that the service gently peeled off and reglued with happy mirror adhesive. I provided a diagram to make sure they put it back in the same place. This model has no front clear glass and the toggle actually moves the whole body of the mirror unlike the internal feature of the Giulia Spider type.

Don, the frame holds the pieces together and is held in place by folded tabs on the frame that fit into 4 slots on the mirror body if the frame is metal. Two on top and bottom. If it is plastic, these tabs are molded in place and worry out of the slots with a flat blade and a slight twist.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
I simply went to a "pick a part" auto wrecker and found a modern mirror that was slightly bigger than the old mirror.

It was then a simple task to grind the mirror to the correct shape using a belt sander with an old 100 grit belt using light pressure. Its astonishing how fast the mirror shaped up.
( Note that the tapered glass can't be scored and snapped successfully)

I frequently cooled the mirror by dipping it into water every 10 or so seconds of grinding just to stop it from overheating and possibly cracking.

All up the new mirror cost $5.00 + gas money.

Safety --- wear heavy gloves, eye protection and a dust mask/respirator and do it outside. The glass dust is probably inert, but if the mirror cracks (it didn't for me but I would guess) the sander would spit out shards so the eye and hand protection is vital.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts