Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IAP was good enough to deliver with swift service, a series of needed internal parts, including the window frame's plastic trim parts that the rear view mirror and sun visors attach upon...instead of enjoying the brisker parts of the later sunny afternoon applying throttle foot to pedal, I spent nearly 2 hours applying shifter hand to figure out how to remove the rear view mirror from the window frame of my new-to-me 1981 Veloce Spider...I used dental mirrors to look for hidden screws, pushed screwdrivers into unwanted slots, tapped upon the bottom and top of the cast piece as if it were an errant WWII bomb, as well as tried turning the whole unit clockwise and counter...all to zero avail...heck, I even tried patting my tummy and rubbing my head while listening to Pavarotti upon the auto's crackling radio...but alas, nada was my reward...

Now I am quite confident that it will be brilliantly easy to a learned journeyman, BUT CAN SOMEONE WAY SMARTER THAN I PLEASE TELL ME HOW IN THE BLAZES YOU REMOVE THE REAR VIEW MIRROR FROM A 1981 SPIDER (without having to use C4 explosives)???

many many thanks in advance...!...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Take heart, Jim- it ain't about smarts. It has to do with experience with the marque!;)

On the later Spiders, the rear view mirror simply pops off. It fits tightly into a socket, and you just pull down and to the rear and it pops out. Installation, as they say, is the reverse of disassembly!

Now if the earlier cars are different, somebody please step up and correct yrs trly here.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Haven't done it myself, but according to the manual you simply pull back on the mirror, twisting it upward, and it should dislodge from it's mount on the windshield frame. The mount is then held on by two screws.

Let me know if it breaks or not.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Yup, like everyone has said: just pretend you're one of those high strung racers from days gone by with the mentality of 'she no matters where I been, only where I'm going' and snatch it off there with a bit of attitude :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yup, like everyone has said: just pretend you're one of those high strung racers from days gone by with the mentality of 'she no matters where I been, only where I'm going' and snatch it off there with a bit of attitude :)
Series 1 and 2 mirrors have the same snap socket arrangement. Grab and pull hard...
gulp...with cap in hand, teeth chattering rather loudly, and aforementioned C4 milling about yawning, can I ask politely lads if either of you or others actually have done as such (the pull upwards method)?

·
Administrator
16,783 Posts
It does take a bit of faith to believe you are not 'breaking' the mirror mount but, yes, I have R/R the mirror on our '84 (S3) Spider in the manner described above. Just yank it off. It appears to have been designed to 'break away' (yet be replaceable) in the event of an accident.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Yah, I've done it several times for various reasons. Piece of pie. ;)

You can pull up away from the windshield or push down toward the windshield, but try to avoid the sidways stuff. Me, I pull up so there's less chance of whacking (and chipping) the windshield when it lets go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yah, I've done it several times for various reasons. Piece of pie. ;)
good gods man, how right you are...for the rest o the populace who have not done as such, will work to post a series of pics of the process and what the innards look like hopefully in the next couple of days (as it now looks like I have to send the window frame's plastic trim parts back to IAP because the holes are not even remotely close to where they should go!)...thanks for the info and encouragement to stop biting nails and just yank that ****'d thing off!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I'll say I've "sorta" done it. Not on my Alfa but on a Lancia. Same setup. Indeed nerve racking but you (probably) won't break it. As stated previously, I'm pretty sure the idea is for it to break loose if you whack it with your coconut in a wreck.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I did this a few years ago and had good luck taking it off, puttingit on, it was loose, I used a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze the larger part of the snap together a little, it tightned up ok. the glass and mirror I got was a little too large to go in, so I took it to a glass place near my house and they recut it.
cliff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts