Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I’m in the process of replacing the front springs and lower A arm bushings etc. There are a few minor details that I want to clarify so that they don’t cause me additional grief. Here is a list:

— do the top of the springs have to be seated a certain way when inserted into to tower. In other words, does the rubber seat fit into an indentation? Is so, is it tricky to keep everything together without the metal seat and rubber from shifting?

- when installing the A arm bushings, do I tighten, torque, and install the grease caps and install the arms as a unit? So there is no need to retorque when the bushings are on the car?

• are the lower control arms and the “dog bone” interchangeable from right to left ?
  • if my caster arm didn’t have the plastic guide caps that fit between the cater arm “fork” that connects to the upper control arm bushing, is it a good idea to put them on? Because I bought them already.
I just want to get these answered before the job is done because it’s always the minor details that cause the most grief later.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
— do the top of the springs have to be seated a certain way when inserted into to tower. In other words, does the rubber seat fit into an indentation? Is so, is it tricky to keep everything together without the metal seat and rubber from shifting?
I don't recall where in the Alfa suspension there are indentations for the springs' end, and where there aren't. But I also don't remember reassembling the front sprints as being particularly tricky. I use masking tape to hold the spring pads to the springs during assembly.

- when installing the A arm bushings, do I tighten, torque, and install the grease caps and install the arms as a unit? So there is no need to retorque when the bushings are on the car?
I wouldn't tighten the nuts on the ends of the dogbones until the suspension is bearing the cars weight.

are the lower control arms and the “dog bone” interchangeable from right to left ?
The control arms are NOT interchangeable. The rear ones have a chamfer to allow clearance for the tie rod end. Why Alfa didn't simply chamfer ALL the control arms is beyond me. You'll see the chamfers.

if my caster arm didn’t have the plastic guide caps that fit between the caster arm “fork” that connects to the upper control arm bushing, is it a good idea to put them on? Because I bought them already.
It depends on which type of caster arm bushing you have: the original "thin" bushing (which needs the plastic spacer) or the "thick" one (which doesn't provide space for it). See CA's write-up on the spacer at: SU084 SPACER FOR CASTOR ARM BUSH When you get things apart, compare the height of your new bushings to the id of the fork of the caster arm. Does it fit tightly (= thick bushing) or is there enough play that spacers will be needed (=thin)?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts