Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can custom wheels such as a minilite wheel new or used be located for a 1963 Guilia Spider 101.23? What about the Replicia TZ wheels? New are $450 any used for sale? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
The original Minilites were cast in magnesium and not a great street option. There are others that look like Minilites cast of light alloy that are Ok on the street.
I bought from (new) Minilite In G.B one wheel to match the 4 on my AUSCA spider ex-race car.
It was expensive and did require additional machine work for correct fit.
Replica TZ wheels in light alloy (not magnesium) are also nice on spiders.
These are the magnesium Minilites on my '65 AUSCA spider.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gordon -

You mention that Minilites are not a good option for the street. Could you share what your concerns are? I've got a 50 year-old set that I have been planning to use on my '65 spider, after having them cleaned and inspected.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Magnesium is a concern in applications where it could get wet. You need to baby them, ie, check for cracks, keep it coated, and dry.

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
Battlecry is correct. The magnesium is BRITTLE and stiff. It does not do well with chuck holes or rough railroad crossings. If your streets are race track smooth, you have no issues. It also requires a pro-magnesium welder to correctly repair cracks or stresses. As cast surfaces should not be polished smooth. The raised diples are part of the structure.
I've 2 that are with a magnesium welder for about a year awaiting when he has TIME to go over them carefully.
Magnesium is porious, and absorbs road chemicals, (especially dog pee!) that will degrade the alloy through paint.This damage is undetectable until it turns into internal cracks. Real Minilites must be treated gently, and if used, x-rayed, magnifluxed etc. more than once after restoration to be SURE you are not playing with a dangerous wheel. That said, I've used mine 47+ years now with no issues, BUT they are not just another alloy wheel and must be appreciated and checked often.
This is my opinion from my experience with magnesium wheels on the track and street. The above does NOT pertain to light alloy wheels or DOT approved wheels.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Years ago (1990's) I bought a set of PANASPORT wheels for my '62 Spider race car. They are quite attractive and durable. I tried to upload a picture but it is too big. You can just barely see them in my Avatar. I don't know if this company is still around but some simple research would help.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
I resized the picture and did the upload. This is a current picture. I am in the process of returning the car to it's appearance during the time I was racing which accounts for the unpainted roll cage and missing engine. The wheels look rather good I think. Oh yes, in the garage you can get a glimpse of my -60 Spider.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Out here in Oz, Performance Wheels make a "replica" wheel, called the Superlite. I think new price is less than $1K so second hand would be quite a bit cheaper. Mind you the cost of importing from here would be a bit of a $ killer I would think.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Paul Spruell will sell you Panasports:

Alfa parts and other Sports Car Performance Parts

But they are not the right width for a Giulietta wheel well/lip. A good wheel shop should be able to cut and reweld. Xalfaracer, did they clear the front drum brakes?

I'd call Spruell and see what he can do.

If you go for aluminum rims, you may need to replace the wheel studs. Normal Giulietta studs are not long enough for the aluminum replicas.

My Milano Verde came with the telephone dial wheels that bent if you looked at them sideways. I got tired of that and replaced them with wider Panasports from Ereminas. I ended up shattering one on the brutal roads we have here. Not a crack, parts flying complete surrender to the so-called road self-immolation utter failure. I really liked the looks of the Panasport, but never felt safe after that. Still have one in my garage. One day I'll make something for my wife's gardenhose with it.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Paul Spruell will sell you Panasports:

Alfa parts and other Sports Car Performance Parts

But they are not the right width for a Giulietta wheel well/lip. A good wheel shop should be able to cut and reweld. Xalfaracer, did they clear the front drum brakes?

I'd call Spruell and see what he can do.

If you go for aluminum rims, you may need to replace the wheel studs. Normal Giulietta studs are not long enough for the aluminum replicas.

My Milano Verde came with the telephone dial wheels that bent if you looked at them sideways. I got tired of that and replaced them with wider Panasports from Ereminas. I ended up shattering one on the brutal roads we have here. Not a crack, parts flying complete surrender to the so-called road self-immolation utter failure. I really liked the looks of the Panasport, but never felt safe after that. Still have one in my garage. One day I'll make something for my wife's gardenhose with it.
I had Girling then ATE discs from later Alfas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts