Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a mini spare from a 164 work on a GTV6. I know that the bolt holes match, but is there a problem with offset?
Thanks.

I also posted this in the GTV6 forum. I hope that it is not bad manners.

·
Premium Member
27,291 Posts
Will a mini spare from a 164 work on a GTV6. I know that the bolt holes match, but is there a problem with offset?
Thanks.

I also posted this in the GTV6 forum. I hope that it is not bad manners.
Works fine on rear with inboard brakes but it may hit caliper on front wothout a spacer as I know 164L alloy will rub on GTV6 caliper without a spacer.

Seems like the 164S alloy clears caliper OK.

One thing you do need to know is inner ID of 164 wheels including min spare is smaller than GTV6 or Milano so tight fit and you may have to enlarge it especially if it is one for L or S with wide spacer riveted to it for longer alloy bolts.

·
Premium Member
14,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. I have 164S wheels on my Milano - no problems after opening up the hole in the middle. I previously had 164L wheels on it and it needed spacers on the front wheels.

·
Registered
816 Posts
164 mini spare tires

Hi All,
As a heads up to everyone, please be aware that there is a fair possibility of these spare tires exploding in your trunk. I personally have seen two instances of it!! My wife had it happen to her while driving home one night. She said it was like a bomb went off in the trunk. The trunk carpet board and several small items were destroyed. We investigated the problem and Michelin USA paid for the damages. We understood that it was a somewhat frequent problem. We tried to buy another one and found that they were not being produced. By the way, the car was a 91 L and the tire was dated sometime in 1989. A year or so later, we bought a 94 parts car in which the tire had exploded and badly buckled the trunk lid. These space saver spares are now 20+ years old. I personally wouldn't use one and I certainly wouldn't put one in the trunk of a nice GTV-6 or Milano.
Keith Goring
Alfas Unlimited

·
Premium Member
27,291 Posts
We had one stored in our sun room and in the heat of the summer it exploded, too. Sounded like a bomb went off. The 60psi in it was to much once sun heated it up.

I use full size tires and wheels in all our 164s at 35 psi max for our spares.

·
Premium Member
16,153 Posts
I removed the mini spares from our Alfas, and replaced them with real spares. Easy to do after removing the plastic holders in the spare location. The only thing to keep in mind that the real spare will stick up a little higher, and that the little studs in the floor of the spare tire bay will stick up. One could remove those, but I chose to install smooth topped nuts on them to rest against the spare tire sidewall. Does no damage.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Space saving spares? Funny how mine came with a regular sized wheel from the previous owner. I'm only too happy to have a regular spare anyway.

·
Premium Member
16,153 Posts
Really, they are supposed to be weight saving rather than space saving, as they just fill the same hole in the trunk, held in with plastic spacers.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Really, they are supposed to be weight saving rather than space saving, as they just fill the same hole in the truck, held in with plastic spacers.
Sure, but with a regular wheel there's no speed or load limit. It's just like any other wheel if you happen to have to replace one in the middle of a long trip.

·
Premium Member
16,153 Posts
Right, I could care less about the difference in weight, but the manufacturers do because of the weight related fuel mileage tax added to the list price. And, just maybe, the slight change in performance, lol.

As you, I wanted a real spare. Friend of mine with a Boxster S got a flat, torn sidewall, on his first trip across the state, and had to drive back 300 miles on the dumb mini spare at about 45-50 mph, there being no tires of that size available along his route.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Right, I could care less about the difference in weight, but the manufacturers do because of the weight related fuel mileage tax added to the list price. And, just maybe, the slight change in performance, lol.
I remember seeing many years ago on TV a review of a convertible Peugeot that, having so little boot space because of the folding roof, came with a nice little box with two cans of puncture repair foam spray. Imagine yourself having to call the insurance company for a tow truck every time you blow a tire!

On the mileage issue I've seen better efforts. My brother's Renault Clio came with a regular sized spare (all rims are steel) and it does 4,5 liters/100 km (that's about 52 MPG).

·
Premium Member
16,153 Posts
Well, yes, different car design, different decade technology.

·
Registered
565 Posts
We investigated the problem and Michelin USA paid for the damages. We understood that it was a somewhat frequent problem. We tried to buy another one and found that they were not being produced.
Thanks for posting this Keith - it does seem that it was a somewhat common practice at that time to produce "donut spares" from sub-par quality rubber that rapidly deteriorated over time. This wasn't a consistently applied practice though - I've seen some 25+ year-old spares that look to still be in excellent shape. In the past I've grabbed a donut spare from a Saab that was the correct size tire (and in excellent shape), and had the tire removed and mounted on another donut rim.

Any idea if Michelin would proactively replace the tire before it explodes???

·
Registered
816 Posts
Mini spare

At the time of the explosion, I called the TireRack and they told me that it{Michelin} was out of production. Alfa in Florida didn't have any, either. What brand are the Saab mini spare tires? I'm not planning to use one again, but just curious about the brand.
KG

·
Registered
565 Posts
What brand are the Saab mini spare tires?
Nokia. I actually have two of them. One came off an early 80's Saab 900 and was re-mounted on a different 15" rim where the original tire had completely delaminated. The other came off a mid-90's Saab 9000 CSE, so it's a 16", still on it's original 4 x 108 rim. Both of them show no visible signs of aging at all.

I suppose it would be a bit too Rube Goldberg-ish to take on a project of re-fitting Saab 9000 hubs just so we could have a good selection of mini spares. :p

FWIW, the more common size spare for the Saab is 15", which I assume is what we have for the 164, yes? In that case, should be easy enough to grab one at the junkyard and have the tire switched over. Note that not all tire places will work on a mini spare - I found that a "high end" place was worried about it damaging their machine, but a chain-store had no issues. Just my experience - YMMV.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts