Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some ideas on upgrading my suspension on my 1984 GTV6.

Here is the current program:

Koni Yellow shocks full stiff, front and back.

Stock torsion bars. Front lowered to euro spec,

Weitec F Series sport springs. 40mm drop, stiffer, but progressive (I think)
these spring seems like they could be stiffer, but I do not know what spring
rates they are.

Milano Verde front anti-swaybar.

Poly sway bar mount bushings. Poly caster rod bushings.
Poly Watts-Linkage Bushings.

The handling is very nice at this time.

At the autocross I can tell that the car could use some more spring.
In fast transitions the car can get a bit out of balance.

I don't intend to get the RSR kit. I'd like to but the dollar to Euro makes
that a bit ugly for me.

I'm considering:

1) replace only the rear springs w stiffer rear springs from performatek
2) replace the swaybars front and rear w the larger 27 and 25mm again from
performatek.
3) 27mm torsion bars and stiffer rear springs ?
4) the whole enchilada:
Performatek 27mm torsion bars
Performatek rear springs
Performatek 27mm front swaybar
Performatek 25mm rear swaybar

I am NOT trying to make this car an all-out track attack car.

I feel like the current suspension would be along the lines of a stage 1 upgrade.
I'd consider the RSR suspension to be a stage 3 I'm looking to get to stage
2. NIce and tight for the track, but still driveable on the street whilst keeping
my back intact and my teeth in my mouth.

Seems like the only good answers are either #4 the whole enchilada,
or #3 torsion bars and springs.

My instinct tells me that the bigger swaybars would not be simpatico w
the current spring setup.

opinions and ideas appreciated. Also if anyone has some coilovers or
larger torsion bars that they are looking to sell please let me know

·
Registered
625 Posts
How about just going with front coil overs and not rear. Group 2 motorsports imports has them stateside http://www.group2inc.com I've heard the guys there are good, and will work with you to get the right spring rates. Plus I've heard those 27mm front torsions are a pain to install.

·
Registered
324 Posts
its not exactly obvioius from your post exactly what you are trying to achieve, ie big improvement?, none of the original character, stiff, soft, medium, original set up but sharper. what do you want from the car? this will dictate if your proposed set up is for you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mjr. to answer your question from my previous post:

I am NOT trying to make this car an all-out track attack car.

I feel like the current suspension would be along the lines of a stage 1 upgrade.
I'd consider the RSR suspension to be a stage 3 I'm looking to get to stage
2. NIce and tight for the track, but still driveable on the street whilst keeping
my back intact and my teeth in my mouth.

I want stiff but livable. I don't feel the need to goto heim joints, and full on race
suspension. I think there is more that I can do to make this car an even better
handler whilst still beeing streetable.

·
Registered
324 Posts
ok,well it sounds like you already have stiffer than stock progressive rear springs, I would just replace roll/sway bars for now, and see how you go, as this alone may be your issue

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I guess that helps me to focus my question a bit better then...

New problem statement:

With my current suspension setup, would larger swaybars improve my handling
and time around the autocross course as well as the occasional track day. Without
making the car unbearable to drive on the street.

I've heard that larger antiswaybars can make for a rough handling ride.
I already have the verde 25mm? bar in front. Would larger bars front and
rear make the car flatter and more stable? I don't want to make the car
all twitchy.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Jimmy,

Given your goals, yes, larger anti-roll bars would be a logical next step. I think you'll like the results.

They will not degrade the ride at all, except in situations where one wheel on each axle hits a bump and the other does not.

I would not look to go stiffer on the rear springs at all unless you also do matching torsion bars - stock torsion bars and really stiff rear springs are a recipe for snap oversteer.

Also - why full stiff on the Konis? You can probably dial that down a bit and find some grip.

Joe

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
By setting the Konis on full stiff your making the rebound rediculously stiff even though the compression is bit stiffer than stock. It will make the car sink on its springs if you go over a lot of bumps at once and lose traction ultimately.

Swaybars will make the car ride a lot flatter but with an open diff (not LSD) and a large rear sway bar I think you will be noticing serious wheel spin at the autocross.

I am running the listed mods in my signature and am still looking for more spring rate even though it is my daily driver. I have a big hunch that you won't even be satisfied with 27mm torsion bars and matching springs, it is still quite soft compared to what you would want for autocross or the open track. Look in to getting your spindles modified to give you more front end grip when cornering hard. Take a look here:

http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=41095&page=9

for some info on aftermarket spring rates and what the drop spindle looks like.

·
Registered
324 Posts
JoeCab has it, for your goals, and street friendlyness, roll bars are the way to go.

you are asking the car to do two different things from one package. i.e you want better Autocross, and better Track days, but want the car to remain street. Autocross and track day require completely different set ups. thicker roll bars are all you need with your current set up, to sharpen up on track days and stop balance issues, induced by body roll. This will not affect the street ride quality at all, but improve the car under cornering and braking.

your current set up is the limit when it comes to street portability, the only option you have left is the roll bars, any more than that and you can kiss good bie to ride comfort and quality on the street. dial down your shock stiffness a notch too, right now your car will be over reacting because of your rebound.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hi Jack,

I agree with the above. I would think that you have almost the optimal front set-up for street. e.g lowered w/Verde front bar.

I would agree that a bigger rear swaybar would bring some balance to the equation. I would also submit that coil-overs in front (as helper springs) Are easier to install & are adjustable (vs bigger bars) See link QA1 Gen-F coil over: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchCmd?No=0&D=qa1+coil+over&Dx=mode+matchall&searchTerm=qa1+coil+over&catalogId=10002&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchall&Ntt=qa1+coil+over&N=0&langId=-1&y=10&x=20&storeId=10001&Ntk=all
springs can be had from 130lbs-220. You might want to remove one spring from the rear and take it to the suspension shop to get the. It helps to know what you've got.

·
Richard Jemison
7,191 Posts
Street handling

There are larger Torsion bars than 27mm. With the car dropped an inch & a half the front suspension is not going to give you the handling you want because of the resulting geometry. The dropped spindles will enhance the stiffer torsion bars and they are not expensive. See the pics at http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=41095&page=7 and the 105 ones for sale in the AlfaBB clasified for sale section. http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=45787
Do it right & the 27mm will be enough with all likelyhood.
Rj

·
Registered
625 Posts
Why not just bite the bullet and get front coilovers, then they can at least be adjustable without dropping the whole front suspension. Even if you found some cheaper ones and modified them to fit.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
These cars are built to be lowered. Natuarlly, you're gonna pick up some negative camber when you drop the vehicle. You have to dial that out but cutting the bolt spacers between the "A" arm and frame. That'll get ur geometry back. My GTV6 sits low enough in the rear, (though riduculously high in front - esp. with my teeny weeny stock Milano rims:D That is, vs my Milano's which sat high in the back:rolleyes: - they REALLY did better when lowered! Though next time I'll get progressive springs rather than the Shankle type.

Anyhow, just my .02c Jack, I just love being effective whilst saving on my drinkin' money!;)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
I am running the listed mods in my signature and am still looking for more spring rate even though it is my daily driver. I have a big hunch that you won't even be satisfied with 27mm torsion bars and matching springs, it is still quite soft compared to what you would want for autocross or the open track.
For those suggesting more spring rate, the thing to remember is that Colorado roads are not California roads, or even close. Ultra-stiff just doesn't work on the street here.

Joe

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
California roads aren't smooth either. We don't have snow but there are plenty of potholes in my area.

Also, sway bars (roll bars) won't do a lick for braking. They only work when cornering.

·
Registered
661 Posts
What tires are you planning to set up your suspension for? Start there.

FWIW:

I have excellent results with the RSR set up. Resulted balanced heat range on all contact patches (15 degrees variation) and pressures among tires. Ron did his home work!

(Toyo RA1 and Michelin Exaltos - Street)

·
Registered
85 Posts
What is a good source for the Milano verde (25mm) anti-sway bar?, my gtv6 is in described suspension stage 1 minus this.

thanks

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
It's a 24mm sway bar, not a 25. I think the 3.0 America should have one if you can find it?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts