Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tonight I decided to go for it and install a GTV6 Bulge hood on my Milano. Tomorrow I will finish it up. I hope.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
172 Posts
oh i wanna see....

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I did get new wheels and a few more things.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well its done. It's great looking. Chopped the hood, glued on the scoop. Waiting for adhesive to dry so I can bondo it up. Only took 1.5 hours. Including design time, fabrication and gittn' er done mode. Photos will be coming tonite.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here is the end result so far without the bondoing. It takes 1 - 8 hours for the structural adhesive to cure. Looks pretty good so far.

Untitled by Krazymaan, on Flickr

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AND THEN I...

THE PART YOU DON'T SEE IS ME MIXING THE EPOXY AND APPLYING IT. THEN SCREWING THE HOOD IN PLACE ASAP BECAUSE YOU ONLY HAVE TWO MINUTES TO TOTAL DESTRUCTION.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats it so far. Hope you liked the photos. It really takes alot of effort to make photos of work in progress. I have to congratulate JungleJustice for his thousands of photos in progress for all of us to learn off of. Tonight I will be filling in the seams and making it look like a factory hood as most of us have always wanted to see one.

I wonder if I am the first one to do this? Anyway as I said earlier. It only took 1.5 hours from start to finish. The adhesive cost about $30. I have tools. It was quite fun easy and satisfying.

I'll post more photos of my bodywork on the hood as soon as I take the photos.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah. For the critics. I used my scale and I removed 4 lbs of metal from the old hood. I added 7 pounds of new hood. So it weighs only 3 lbs more. But... I am not reinstalling the hood liner. So I call it even steven in my book.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Since you actually cut the original hood (rather than just gluing the GTV6 piece on top), you can now extend your intake pipes by a couple of inches! Though you'd probably better weld this time...

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
DUDE! Thanks for the kudos - awesome progress... :cool:

Get it smoothed and then pull a plug to do them in fiberglass / or CF... :D

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Oh yeah. For the critics. I used my scale and I removed 4 lbs of metal from the old hood. I added 7 pounds of new hood. So it weighs only 3 lbs more. But... I am not reinstalling the hood liner. So I call it even steven in my book.
I was going to say, you didn't cut out as much metal as you added..

I think it looks way cool.

I have a GTV6 that the PO removed the tea tray from and had welded in metal. Looks surprisingly good.

bs

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ALL RIGHT. HERE WE GO WITH A COUPLE OF MORE PHOTOS OF MY AMATEUR BODY WORK IN PROGRESS.

Untitled by
://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/]Krazymaan[/url], on Flickr

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AND THEN...

TRYING MY HARDEST TO KEEP IT FLAT AND STRAIGHT

Just gonna let it dry good tonight and finish tomorrow.

I'm not going to actually have the car painted yet. So I am going to have to do my own painting magic. The hood is going to look like Black Brushed Stainless Steel when I am done. I guess we will just have to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
hey as a former body man ill give u a tip for keeping stuff straight, when your mixing your bondo spray a differnt colour of paint in with each layer so as you sand you can see the different colors come thru to show your height. also when doing long flat surfaces like the hood seams use a 2x4 cut to the excact length of the panel th mak sure your getting even pressure across your panel or you will never get those dips and valleys. or youll wind up with a seem that looks like a ribbon!

also bondo as thin as you can man, when that stuff hardens itll take forever to get smooth or sand down.

90% sanding 9% bondo 1% paint is the equation.

Sand wet sand sand some more then sand again call you dad and have him sand then when your wrist wont work paint.!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts