Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. Let's just say that neither my skills nor my home shop equipment are up to the regulator-cleaning procedure that has been outlined on this forum. The one shop that has been suggested as a place to get it done is one I've been warned away from by people whose opinion I trust, and the shop that has been doing mostly excellent work on both the Milano and the now-departed 164 is not interested in fiddly detail work on such "non-essentials" as window regulators or the ARC panel ("They all do that!" is the dismissal I get). They will do something to get the windows to work for a while, but unless I drive it every day they eventually stick. And Hagerty doesn't want it driven every day, except for fun …

Short of a miraculous rebirth of Alfa Only, my options seem a lot slimmer that I had expected here in Automotive Paradise. That Milano is one sweet car, and I want to get its tired paint, trim and interior taken care of sometime soon, but the window thing is being a major obstacle. Someone did suggest I might try cleaning the contacts in the switches, which I will do … but if that proves not to be the problem (and as crusty as the car is generally suggests it's at least not the ONLY one) then I'm right back to here.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
WD-40 the window channels. If they move, the felt or whatever they are get filled with dirt, and stresses the motor.
After doing this they'll go up & down like rockets

·
Premium Member
15,414 Posts
I use silicon spray on the Milano window channels, and it makes a real difference in how the window goes up and down, as well as the noise of the window motor. The vertical push on the bottom of the window from the mechanism pushes/rotates the top rear of the window back against the rear vertical channel, and if it is dirty, it really tends to drag..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts