Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Nope, those aren't SZ wheels.

SZ wheels are 16x7 (front) and 16x8 (rear).

I have that very same set on my 164. They are off a 164Q4 and are 16x6.5. I had to modify them to fit the Milano. As you know, the 164's hub is about 1mm smaller in diameter so the 164Q4 wheels don't actually sit flat against the flat of the Milano hub.

You can either dremel the 1mm away, or send it to a machine shop to have the correct taper put into the wheel like I did.

Of course, I found that I didn't like the way it looked on the Milano (not enough offset) so it went back onto the 164. I personally think the Milano's need more offset (i.e. the deep dish look) which these wheels don't have. They work just great on the 164 though. Aesthetically and functionally.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Here are the same wheels on the wife's Verde (at the AROSC Driving School)

Note how deep the wheel is in the wheelwell. It may not be obvious from this pic, but when looked at straight from the front or back, they are set too far into the car. Adding spacers only lessened the amount of stud to fasten the wheel onto the hub.

The SZ wheels (impossible to find) are what you really want!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
OK, so what are the best (light/ strong/ good-looking/ inexpensive) wheels to put on a Milano?

I know that some of you (Zamani, Nizam, Chip, etc.) have experimented with all kinds of wheels and sizings with various ride-heights, etc.

I would like to find the largest wheel/tire combination that doesn't require fender work (and that doesn't rub) that will keep me close to the original overall diameter (for speedo reasons) for my Verde.

While we're at it, there are lots of opinions about suspension mods. I intend to use the Verde as an occasional long-distance driver, with about two or three track events per year. I don't mind stiff suspensions, but I don't want to end up losing my fillings when I'm on vacation either.

So far, I'm inclined to believe that the Shankle Super-Sport Torsion Bars, Springs and Anti-Sway Bars, with Bilsteins may be the way to go. I don't think I want to spend the kind of money that a few of you have on coil-overs and the like.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Hi Alex,

Cheap, strong and light rims are not common. I have just bought a set of Kosei K1 16 X 7.5 for $149/pc. You can have tirerack.com custom drill it for the Alfa and the price goes up to $199/pc. However, these are cast rims. Cast rims aren't eactly strong. But they are reasonably light at 15.5 lbs each.

If you want something stronger, try the OZ Superleggera. Buy it for a Celica GTS or VW VR6 and have it drilled to Alfa specs. The OZs should be a little stronger.

Team Dynamics are also an option but they are by no means light, at 17 lbs each for 16 x 7.5".

At the upper end of the scale for rims, you have SSR Competition or the Volk Racing TE-37. They are strong and are also forged rims. If you can afford it, go for these rims. Forged rims are the way to go.

The important thing about the total wheel size is the combination of rim offset, rim width and tire width. As a guide, for a 16" setup, 205/50/16 with 7.5" width rims, 35mm offset should fit with little or no rubbing problems. There might be some speedometer error. But it will now under read. Not a problem since sometimes speedometers are optimistic anyway.

BTW, my front coilover setup for the front cost me $300.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,363 Posts
I have wanted to use the 3-piece SZ wheels for a long time. The problem with them is the offset (not to mention cost).

The SZ fronts are 16 x 7 with an offset of 7mm
The SZ rears are 16 x 8 with an offset of 20mm

The fronts would require approximately 23 mm spacers to get to a 30mm offset, which is perfect for a Milano with 7" wide wheels. While the rears have a better offset, I think clearance would still be an issue with an 8" wide wheel.

In addition to the 164Q4 wheels Nizam mentioned, there is also a 15 x 7 OZ Racing wheel that Alfa offered as an option on the Milanos. These are real 3 piece wheels unlike the 164Q4 Speedline wheels for which the nuts are decorative (correct me if I'm wrong on this one).

·
Registered
14 Posts
AlfaSZ, those wheels are drop dead gorgeous :D

Alex, what about a set of the magnesium wheels that were fitted to some GTV6 s? They are very light and will certainly clear the arches. The only trouble would be sourcing a good set as the were a bit prone to disolving before you eyes. I have a good set myself for my own car and can vouch for their lightness.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
I already have a good set of 15 inch Speedlines and another set of 15 inch CEC 129 wheels that are pretty light. What I would really like are a set of light, strong and cheap 16 X 7 or 7.5 inch wheels for my Verde, for track and street use.

There are some pretty good choices, but most need to be drilled and honed to make them fit the unusual 5 X 98mm stud pattern and the 'hub-centric design of the Milano/ GTV6 Hub.

I'm looking for answers on what the rest of you guys have used.

Ciao!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,363 Posts
Nizam,

I might ammend your statement to read:

"Strong, Light, Cheap, Prestigious Brand Name"

Pick any three!

There are some Asian manufacturers out there that are producing some fairly light wheels that are (relatively) strong and (relatively) inexpensive. Hell, some even manage to not look "ricey". Actually, some are pretty handsome.

I have made some inquiries, and these same manufacturers do produce wheels in a 5 x 98 bolt pattern for European sales, they just do not import them to the US.

How many people would be interested in a 16 x7 or 7.5 inch wheel, that weighed in under 17 lbs and retailed for about $600/ set of 4?

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Joe,

Pick me! Pick me!:D

That would be great! I probably know about two or three other owners who would love to buy some too. Do you have any links?

Cheers,
Alex

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Alex,

I'm using SSR Comps w/Toyo Proxes T-1S daily.

The roads in my area really suck (Bay Area, CA), and with the current budget shortfall Gov. Davis has decided to

1) not build any more new roads
2) not fix any roads
3) use my DMV fees to backfill his broken budget

Luckilly, the SSR Comps are very strong (semi-solid forging they say). Even with my Beninca suspension all around I have not bent a single wheel. I think Joe took a pic of them and put them up on AlfaCentro:

http://www.alfacentro.com/features/v6fest/images/p25.jpg

Those 16x7's weigh only 11lbs!!! They really make a difference in how the steering feels.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,363 Posts
Yes, those are a very handsome wheel. I think they fit the lines of the Milano very well.

Joe

1 - 20 of 42 Posts