Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm sure this has been brought up before but here goes, from the info I can find Milano wheel bolt pattern is 5x98. I need adapters that go from that to 5x4.50. Closest thing I can find is 5x100 to 5x4.50 and am being told that this will work. Is this the case or does that 2 mm make a difference

·
Registered
485 Posts
5x98 is not 5x100. Unless the adapter is made with a LARGE manufacturing tolerance it will not work. If it is made with a large enough tolerance that it will fit I would not use it. Come to think of it, I would NEVER, EVER use a wheel adapter. Too many ways it could go wrong. Do yourself a favor and find the proper wheels.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Hi bryce -

The bolt pattern is only the start of your quest. A 5x100 wheel will not fit your 5x98 hub. Is it close? Yup. Will the 5x100 wheel bolt on without problems? Nope.

Your idea to go from 5x4.5" to the Alfa pattern of 5x98 is OK, but you will increase the offset of the wheel to the hub. There's not much room in the wheelwell.

Assuming for the moment your adapter and wheel depths are perfect for your car, you need to make sure the hub bore on the adapter fits on the Alfa hub, and the outer diameter of adapter's hub mates with the wheel you picked. Else, you'll depend only on the wheel nuts to center the wheel on your hub. Once again, will it work? Sure I wouldn't do it though. There's a lot of load that each hub carries it's best you do it right.

Unfortunately, there aren't many 5x98 choices on http://tirerack.com, but you'll see in this thread:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1985-1993/257834-alfa-milano-75-wheel-picture-thread.html

we do have choices. You'll see my postings from years past that I modified Volk TE37s and SSR Type C wheels for the Milano with great success. It is possible. But it's not cheap.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
" A 5x100 wheel will not fit your 5x98 hub"

I have used 5x100 wheels on my 164s (91S and 94LS) without any problems by using "wobble" bolts. These bolts take up the difference without trouble or loss of strength. They are approved by the European authorities for all driving.

I imagine that this would work with the Milano as well. Got them from Serpent Autosport.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have used 5x100 wheels on my 164s (91S and 94LS) without any problems by using "wobble" bolts. These bolts take up the difference without trouble or loss of strength. They are approved by the European authorities for all driving.

I imagine that this would work with the Milano as well. Got them from Serpent Autosport.
That's a good suggestion, Del. When I was building my cars, these were not options easily available. Glad Serpent Autosport has them.

bryce, check out this link: SERPENT AUTOSPORT Accessories

What you want are the "variation nuts". These will hold your 5x4.5" adapter to the Milano wheel hub.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Always forget that the Milano uses nuts instead of bolts, having taken off Milano wheels so seldom compared to the 91S for replacing the serp belt idler pulley, etc.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Installing 5x100 rims on the 5x98 PCD using variation nuts and bore centering rings is one thing, but using an adapter to do that plus installing 114.5 rims? I dunno. I suppose that can work. You don't provide enough info on these 114.5mm wheels. Offset will be the determinate factor. Keep in mind the an adapter has studs in it and minimum thickness is 3/4" or around 20mm.

More than likely, they are larger wheels and add weight. Now add the weight of the adapter (about the weight of a fully loaded 6" Smith-n-Wesson .357!). That will add significantly to your sprung weight - It'll probably look good parked tho.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts