Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, its that time of year, time to do my wheel bearings. I read a few thread and heard its kinda a pain, but thats to be expected right? Its an Alfa after all. Yesterday I crawled it into my new shop for the first time, jacked it up, pulled the wheels, and started on the axle nuts. They came off pretty painlessly with a two foot breaker bar. Tomorrow im gonna get started on the CV axle bolts which look like they are gonna be more of a pain than the axle nuts, any suggestions? As for the lock rings, I will make a tool in a couple days when i have a chance. Are there any other things Im forgetting? Its my first time doing this so being very cautious with every step. While I have the car in the shop, I will also be doing the transaxle oil, the rear engine mount, and the steering rack boots, any suggestions on those?

Cheers,

Miguel

Attachments

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Yeah the bearings can be tough to get out, I ended up cobbling together a few bits and pieces that approximate the factory tools for it. I got the hubs off with a carefully applied dead blow hammer. I put the bearings in the freezer for an hour before I put them in and it made that part a piece of cake.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Yeah the bearings can be tough to get out
That is true even with the factory tool. Mine eventually came out after soaking them in penetrating oil for two nights in a row.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, i probably end up makin a tool for that too. Is there any way to make the cv axles easier to disconnect or is a 'deal with it ' kind of job? Ive got plenty of penetrating oil lying around so no problem there :thumbup: .

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh so i can disconect them from the center.... i thought i hade to take them off of the hubs...

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
You don't have to take them off the center, some do. I didn't. So you are having probs disconnecting them from the hub then. Are the bolts just stuck? I usually get a crowbar and put that between two of the lug nut studs and then use a big socket wrench with an allen socket to get them off.

Kevin

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, theyre stucka bit and also a pain to get to because of the shocks and spring coils. When I last changed my rear rotors and calipers i stripped one because of a bad angle, being very cautious so I dont do that again...

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Yeah, you can get in there one at a time and have to keep repositioning, definitely a pain! I make sure to tap the allen socket in all the way with a hammer or something to make sure it is seated securely.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Kevin, i got the inner half of the hub off very easily, but how do I get the outer half off? You said a dead blow hammer, is that anything like a slide hammer? I cant seem to get it out now matter what I do.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Hey Kevin, i got the inner half of the hub off very easily, but how do I get the outer half off? You said a dead blow hammer, is that anything like a slide hammer? I cant seem to get it out now matter what I do.
This is normally one of the more difficult phases of R&R on the wheel bearings.

I suggest you look into renting or purchasing a proper hub R&R tool - otherwise you'll be beating on the hub for a while with a hammer and it won't always come out. Slide hammer may work if you have a stout adapter. Watch your studs... Also, expect that the wheel bearing inner race will be stuck on hub. You'll need a chisel and/or cutoff wheel. It's OK if you cut into the hub a bit, just use a file remove any ridges.

There's a BMW tool which worked quite well for me on a wheel bearing job, and a family member - you need a piece that sits in place to give anchor. The "BMW" tool looks like this: B 90

The cheapest hub tools are here, you need both parts:
1. Rear Wheel Hub Removal Tool - A.3.0327 (A.3.0327 1.821.059.000) :: TotallyAlfa
2. Rear Wheel Hub Removal Tool - A.2.0380 (A.2.0380) :: TotallyAlfa

Be very careful installing your new wheel bearings, if you pull out or damage the inner races by using the ID to pull in, expect to try again with a yet another new bearing. You can use the old bearing as an installation tool if you're careful.

This job is one of the more time consuming on a DeDion car, especially without the proper tools (hub separator, bearing puller, retainer ring, etc.). Keep your head on - if you damage the DeDion during this job it's a lot more headache. Keep it up!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
As Rob says, it will be better and much easier with those tools. I can't remember but I think one of mine was stuck on pretty good and I able to cobble something together that approximated these tools to get it off. For the other one that came off easier I used something similar to this:

3 Lb. Neon Orange Dead Blow Hammer

Not sure what weight mine is but probably about 3 lb. What I did was to whack one edge, then rotate it 180 degrees whack it again, then 90 degree increments. Be ready for it to fly off!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Here is a picture of another way to pull the hub off if you have access to or can rent general purpose pullers. You will need to put the inner hub in place to have something to push against. Last picture is my old home made rear wheel bearing tool that Andrew just bought.

A slide hammer style hub puller is probably the easiest way. If you have a Harbor freight style cheap tool outfit near you, you can probably buy something to work.

To press what's left of the bearing out after you remove the retaining nut a Chinese 3/4" socket set with a length of fine threaded rod and a couple of washers and nuts can do the trick.

Best bet- befriend an Alfisti with the proper tools.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I never would have thought to combine a steering wheel puller(?) and a bearing separator, would have been a lot easier than what I did on the one that was stuck!

Kevin

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Woooohooooo

WOOOOHOOOOO! GOT IT OFF! I ended up making a hub separator like Greg's and used a steering wheel puller to get it off. Sorry if the pictures are kinda bad... I think ill degrease and wire brush the hub parts and paint them, only the places which are on the outside of course. When tbe outer part finally came out, it came out explosively and took the outside bearings with it, even with the puller method. I think that now that I have the right tools the other side will go much faster. Time to make the lock ring remover tool... which side is reverse thread again?

Miguel

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Merry Christmas! Finally got the wheel bearings out as well as the rings. The bearings were easy but the rings not so much. I ended up having to use a chisel to break the rings, new ones are in the mail. The new bearings went in very easily. The next part of the project is changing the steering rack boots and this his giving me troubles because I cannot get the ball joints out so I can take them off of the 'steering rack push rod' (do know the exact terminology, sorry) and get the old boot off. I have a ball joint fork but am hesitant to use it because I dont want to damage the seal on the ball joint, is there a way of doing this easily without damaging anything?

Thanks,

Miguel

Attachments

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
...I have a ball joint fork but am hesitant to use it because I dont want to damage the seal on the ball joint, is there a way of doing this easily without damaging anything?

Thanks,

Miguel
Yes.

3/4" Forged Ball Joint Separator

Best cheap tool for the front suspension by far. You can use it on the outer tie rod and both ball joints.

Do the steering boots by removing the outer tie rod. Be careful not to put too much torque on the steering rack itself...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts