Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1988 Milano verde has been giving me rough idle problems since the winter, I thought it was temp related and when it would warm up the problem would go away. It’s a rough start I have to turn the key 3-4 times to finally get her to start. Once she starts it’s a rough idle for about a minute she falls dangerously below 500 rpm and if I don’t keep my foot on the pedal to keep it to a healthy 950 rpm the engine will stall.

These are the things I have replaced with brand new parts

1) auxiliary air valve (bosche)
2) engine coolant temp sensor ( bosche)
3) throttle position sensor (bosche)
4) silicone hose set from hiperformace
5) brand new spark plugs and performance wires to ensure a good spark
6) new alternator
7) new battery

I absolutely love my Milano but this gremlin is kickin my butt!

any suggestions on what this might be?

·
Registered
485 Posts
You can search on the bb. It's discussed several times, think it's also covered in Gregs troubleshooting manual. it's on the back of the plenum near the throttle position sensor. A fuel line is going up from the fuel rail, and a bosch connector is plugged in.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Great looking Milano! Put the cold start injector in a plastic bag and tie it closed so you aren’t spraying fuel all over please....
Is your new aux air valve opening when cold? Maybe before first start pop the hoses off it and look thru it with a light and mirror.
Have you had your big rubber air duct off and given it a really good look over? No holes or cracks.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Sometimes the two prong connectors are cracked and not holding on properly. Had to replace all of mine to the injectors , cold start, and the two thermos connectors in front. I can clearly see the cold start hose in your photo. Its in a loop surrounded by your red vacuum hose at the very back of your plenum. The looped fuel line look fairly new since it has writing on it. Cold start injector usually has a blue connector. If the car reacts the same then it might be the cold start injector not working.
I'm pretty sure you can get the injector sonically cleaned by a local fuel injector place.
I just did a new vacuum hose replacement on mine and all your hoses look to be in the proper places. Did you replace the six short intake hoses too, and tightened down the clamps?
For future work to do, I would replace the cloth braided return fuel hose coming from the front pressure regulator, its probably 30 years old. Also the 20" long fuel line in the back of the engine compartment that comes from the brass colored fuel regulator that feeds the intake rail, and don't forget the small 6" fuel hose that connectors the hard fuel line under the car to the brass fuel regulator. Hard to get too but its probably old too. My leaked right at the connection.
Good luck, most of the issues are vacuum related or that cold start injector.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Easiest check is: take it off. Ignite and look if fuel is spraying out
You my friend are a genius, do you realize I took my car to three mechanic two of them were Alfa mechanics!

anyway this morning I did exactly what you said that thing was leakin boy! In fact it won’t all over my hand, I didn’t even remove I just touched it. The blue colored Bosh connector was soaked with fuel. Would you happen to know the exact name of this Bosche connector Or maybe even a serial #

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great looking Milano! Put the cold start injector in a plastic bag and tie it closed so you aren’t spraying fuel all over please....
Is your new aux air valve opening when cold? Maybe before first start pop the hoses off it and look thru it with a light and mirror.
Have you had your big rubber air duct off and given it a really good look over? No holes or cracks.
It is my cold start injector as soon as I start my car it’s leaking all over the place! I didn’t even remove the connector! I guess I need a new connector, you wouldn’t happen to know the part # would you?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I Started my car and checked the
cold start injector it was leaking fuel all over the plastic blue bosche connector. Eureka!! Looks like this was the issue !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello thanks for your help and suggestions this forum is incredibly helpful! I started my car and took a look at the cold start injector it’s blue in color I think it’s a bosche component, anyway this part was soaked with fuel, I reckon this was the issue all along. Now I have to figure out where to source one I don’t have the part number. I will scour the Internet for this part! Thanks again 🙌🏼🙌🏼

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You don’t need a serial number or get a genuine Bosch connector. You can buy a bag of four with nicer finger push on/off instead of the friggin securing wire. Get a pair of clippers and gently clip all the plastic away from the two connectors inside. Make sure you don’t clip the wires or the connector. Then just slip the new plastic connector on. It’s for an EV1 Bosch type fuel injector. I got these from summit racing since they’re close to me in reno.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can search on the bb. It's discussed several times, think it's also covered in Gregs troubleshooting manual. it's on the back of the plenum near the throttle position sensor. A fuel line is going up from the fuel rail, and a bosch connector is plugged in.
[/QUOT
how do I check it? And do you know where it’s located? Is that an expensive part?
My mechanic says it might be The high pressure fuel injection hose and not to be so quick to replace the cold start injector connector but I say why not, I might as well. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If you had gas on the outside then yes it’s probably the fuel hose. That would get gas on the connector. If the connector is ok leave it alone then. Mine fell apart when I went to disconnect. 237k miles on mine. Replace all your other fuel hoses too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you had gas on the outside then yes it’s probably the fuel hose. That would get gas on the connector. If the connector is ok leave it alone then. Mine fell apart when I went to disconnect. 237k miles on mine. Replace all your other fuel hoses too.
Do you think pep boys or auto zone will sell me all the fuel hoses for my car they are probably generic hoses right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.