Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '87 Verde has been sitting for a while. When I started it, it ran very badly. I traced it to #5 plug not firing. I have cleaned the contacts inside the cap but have not replaced it. I switched out #4 plug wire for #5 and still it was #5 cylinder that didn't fire, so it doesn't seem to be a wire. Plugs are new. The Bosch pigtail to the injector was cracked so I replaced it. Still no #5. I really don't feel like removing the injectors to see if #5 isn't injecting. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I really don't feel like removing the injectors to see if #5 isn't injecting. Any suggestions?
Have you actually verified spark by grounding plug wire at boot area for cylinder number 5?

No need to gripe over removing injectors, verify you have spark first, silly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have spark. Pulling #5 wire off makes no difference in the running. #5 exhaust is cool while the others are hot.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I think what Rob and I are questioning is whether or not your #5 plug is firing. Even though you get a spark from the wire, the plug may be fouled and not producing a spark in the combustion chamber. Carbon fouling of the plug is a strong possibility.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If you have spark and it's not firing, most likely bad injector - common when a car sits for prolonged period. They're also ~20 years old now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts