Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to an 88 Milano Verde (this is an amazing car) but not new to Alfa, I have a beautiful 74 GTV fully restored. I am sorting out all of the issues in my newly acquired Milano and would like some input on the ABS sysem.
When I turn on the ignition I hear the ABS pump run and then stop, the light goes out but then come back on when you start moving. When I really stop on the brakes it appears that the front tires lock up. Any advise? What should I check?

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
728 Posts
The initial ABS light with the car stopped is a check of all systems. The light will go out once the ABS pressure has been raised for the cut off to switch the pump off. This mode will also check that all four ABS sensors are connected. This is the continuity check.

The symptons you describe are erratic output of the speed sensors. This can be caused by a bad signal at the ABS wheels which can checked for clearance.

I suspect you problem is the wiring is bad at the sensors. The ones in the back make a right angle turn that usually can make intermittent contact. I would check with a volt ohm meter that all wire output the same kilo ohm impedance. Also, try pulling the wire gently to see if you get a break in continuity. You can find the connectors for the rear under the bottom of the back seat.

Unfortunately, there is no available replacement for the ABS sensor wires so live with it. The used ones I have bought are all crap. I am going to wire dummy resistors into the ABS unit so I can see pressure faults from the ABS light. The unit works fine without the ABS data from the wheels but you obviously now lose the ABS feature.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
The gap between the sensors and the rotors should be about .035". You will get your symptoms if one of the gaps is too wide.
The resistance of each sensor is about 1050 ohms. The connectors for the front ones are under the hood and the rear ones are under the back seat. Sometimes damaged wires can be repaired.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts