Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a surprising scenario my Milano is my vehicle with the most carrying capacity (compare to my Miata and GTV6). I decided to finish a room in my basement and needed to haul some things from homedepot.
Trip1:
Picked up 17 2x4's and 2 bags of insulation (pic1)
Pic2 car loaded up

Trip 2:
9 Sheets of SheetRock
8 12 foot sections of metal to hang ceiling
9 cases of 6 Drop ceiling tiles (Passanger and Rear seats)
1 Keg of Beer
Pic 4: look at that spring compression

All in all it did a great job, engine still felt peppy carrying all that weight

Attachments

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
reminds me of the old days when I had Alfa's as my daily driver....man I've hauled stuff with them, I was sometimes scared the roof would collapse on me:eek::eek: They always got the job done though!!!
I must admit I'm happy to have a truck now, get it all in one load and not worry;)

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
This is truly scary!! We see stuff in the middle of the road all the time because people did a totally inadequate job of securing the loads they are carrying, or have material sticking out beyond the legal side limits, and without red flags. In Seattle we have had several people killed or severely injured recently because loads flew off and struck them while they were either walking by the side of the road, or were in cars following.

I have hauled building materials on/in my Alfas many times, but always use a secure rack and 3/8-1/2 inch nylon rope, limiting the weight and size of the load to avoid problems. Scary.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Del,
The first load the picture was taken before any securing was done. It was securely tied down before going onto the road.
On the second trip everything was also tied down securly with 3/8 and 1/2 inch nylon rope.

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
The trouble with the 2x4's stuck through the side windows out THAT FAR, and without flags, is that it sure isn't allowed out here. The cops would have you in a minute, deservedly.

The cord as seen in the rooftop arrangement doesn't look like you say (the cord these box stores supply is far from substantial enough for this sort of load, esp when the air loads rise quickly with any speed). If you indeed did end up with something more substantial, the arrangement is still pretty scary, don't you think? I mean, nothing is securing the load together either as a unit, or from moving around, just pressing it down to the top of the car. I use old mountain climbing rope, and boat dock lines, line proven to be substantial enough for several thousands of pounds of tension.

No lawsuits for me, thank you, as the errant drivers here have found themselves involved in recently. Big trials, those. I mean, at least one person killed, others permanently maimed. Hard to be cavalier if that happens. Home Depot does rent out small trucks for not much, just to avoid this very situation, because they also realize they could be liable in a damage lawsuit since the loading was done on their property. One case just finished, someone rented a UHaul trailer, evidently loaded it wrong, and the verdict was that even UHaul was found to be substantially negligent and ended up with very heavy fines.

Enough said, please be careful.

BTW, your Milano looks like ours, since the 89's came with the Verde spoiler as stock. Fun car indeed. Also has the Shankle stabilizer bars to stiffen the roll just a little, gives slightly shorter turning transition times for that wonderful suspension. Just put new Michelin Pilot 205/55-15 on late Verde "phone dial" wheels on it. So far, just great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts