Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm hitting you all with some pretty basic questions, but, well, I need answers! I've searched the board pretty thoroughly, and I'm guessing that all this stuff was beaten to death long before the board existed... ;)

I'm looking to do a full tuneup on the '87 since it basically has an unknown service history and it's been sitting for years. The idle is a little lumpy, and it sputters a bit when turning the key off - I'm hoping some new parts under the hood will straighten that out.

I've already replaced all the fluids (Redline NS in the transaxle, Mobil1 10w-40 synthetic in the engine, Valvoline Synpower in the brakes, fresh coolant) so now I'm looking at the ignition system...

It looks like the BMW M30 (early "big six" inline six) distributor caps are identical to the Milanos - I've got one left over from my '79 528i. I'm not sure about the rotor though - I don't have one of those. Anyone happen to know anything about this? I'm assuming it's the same, too.

I've read a bunch of threads about plug wires - I use Magnecors on most of my cars, but have had good luck with the Kingsborne wires on my 1980 Saab 900T. I'm really hoping to not spend a fortune if it can be helped - anyone have a good source for either brand?

The Saabs really like NGK plugs - seems like that's a popular choice here as well. Any other options? How does the V6 handle the iridium or platinum plugs? The Saabs don't seem to care for them *at all*.

And, it's not ignition related, but am I correct that the fuel filter is under the car? Any special tools needed to change it? Best source/brand for a replacement?

Thanks much all...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've run NGK's and the new Autolite 'racing' plugs with good results. I'm at work and don't have the part #'s handy, but i believe they were straight out of the book. I have also had good luck with Accel wires (8mm), but i'm sure there is lot's of disagreement with that...
The fuel filter is a [email protected]#ch, right above the transaxle, sort of towards the passenger side.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
NGK's worked real well on my Milano that or the Golden Lodge. Of course the NGK's are much easier to find locally. As far as wires go I don't think the extra cash for Magnacore is worth it. I use Kingsbourne on my 164S and Bosch on my L and they are both really good. Kingsbourne is made just north of San Diego and I buy them direct from the factory. Ebay has them for $139.00 which is the about $10.00 more than in person.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
If the service history is unknown, you MUST change the timing belts, timing belt tensioner and water pump. Those are the key issues on the V6s as fas as I`ve read here and in European car.
The timing belts are your insurance to EXPENSIVE engine damage, valves hitting pistons is not very nice for you, the car and your wallet!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am in 100% with Ennio. Nothing will break your heart quicker than doing all the work to get a V6 running and driving right, and then bending all the valves :(. I let a 164 go just a bit too long once, and it bent 6 out of 12. And as Ennio said, best to change the tensioner, water pump and and associated hoses while you're in there. There is a wealth of knowledge in this BB about mechanical vs. stock tensioners, as well as the right and proper way to install same. Try starting under engine rebuilding...
Gives one a great connection (as in warm and fuzzy) to the vehicle, too.
Keep us informed on progress. Pics are nice, too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A timing belt replacement is already in the works... I'm guessing that even if the services have been done, with 100k on the clock its very close to needing the work anyway.

I've been reading about mechanical vs. hydraulic tensioners, and I'm not really clear on which is preferred - it seems a virtually religious choice. I've never had any issues with the hydraulic tensioner on my 164Q, but I've heard that's not a universal experience. I'm leaning towards sticking with the hydraulic - with proper installation and routine oil changes, I don't see why it would be generally unreliable. I'm planning on doing this myself - I'm guessing that compared to the Volvo B230FT and the Ford "Lima" 2.3T this is going to be quite an adventure.

At any rate, the major parts don't seem to be any trouble to source - I'm really looking for decent prices (and availability) on the routine items. It seems unless I wanna settle for NAPA Beck-Arnley crap, that's somewhat of a challenge, hence this post...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts