Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I know that you probably get tired of answering repeat questions, every time a "newbie" joins the site, but here goes:

'88 Milano Verde - stock standard - 80K miles;

What is the optimum suspension setup for mostly street use, but some track days - usually pretty aggressive driving all-round? I don't want to rattle my teeth out, but I do like a firm setting. I want bigger - maybe 17" - wheels (eventually) but I am running standard wheels right now. I want to do away with the "darty" ball on center/wandering feel (at higher speed) and the Town Car-style wobbling in the sweeper corners...

I have some 27mm torsion bars headed this way - yes/no? Some don't like the "jacked-up" look in the rear of the Milanos, I know, so a lower ride-height would be OK, but not a must. (Will I be screwing the pooch with lower ride-height when I get bigger wheels?)

What shocks in rear? Can I do coilovers front/rear? (I don't realy need adjustable for what I'll be doing...) What would be esential to replace on the DeDion setup at this stage? What else should be replaced front/rear to tighten things up? Who do I buy from? What brands? What should I NOT do...?

So please, tell me, tell me: Where can I find the Holy Grail?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
first RonalWheels has some nice wheels that fit, beware of the odd pattern. GTV6 wheels from Ronal will fit. But 17" won't you'll be scraping everytime you make a turn. 15" barely fit on my car but i know a few people that run 16" , if you do either make sure to get low-profile tires.

As for the nose-dive look get the rear shock/lowering springs from IAP, they work real nice and a lot of people use them...

Thats all i can help you with for now, http://www.MathisenMotorsports.com has some pics of my rear shock/spring setup and wheels.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,363 Posts
JungleJustice,

First, most of the handling symptoms - i.e. darty steering and wobbing in sweepers - are more than likely due to worn suspension components or shocks. Stock Milanos do have a lot of body roll but they don't do that.

There are several schools of thought on the suspension upgrades. I have a full Shankle "Sport" set up and find it works pretty well. Some on this board have used the set-up from Joe Beninca (Australia) and feel it's better, and at least one person has done coil overs in front instead of upgrading the torsion bars. Lowering the front will cause excessive negative camber, which can be cured but will eat tires if left alone.

BUT - with a lowered car ground clearance for your exhaust will become your biggest issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts