Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the original head gaskets on my 87 Gold. Things went well, car starts and runs reasonably well. Problems: 1) If I connect the cold start injector, the car is hard to start. So for now its disconnected and she starts fine. 2) Under acceleration car has a small shudder until it reaches 2,700-3,000 RPM and then it runs very smoothly.
I've cleaned up the distributor contacts, checked the grounds but can't get the shudder to subside. I can also hear a small backfire occasionally, I believe in the plenum when the car is cold. I will replace the plugs today just in case they are compromised from the head gasket failure. Other than that, any ideas?

·
Premium Member
15,852 Posts
Changing the plugs is the right thing to do first. Have had the same stutter at low rpms and hard to start when I used Bosch Plus 4's in our Milano. Decided it was at least one fouled plug, which they seem to do (they never worked in the 91S, plugs fouling after several thousands of miles). The engine would run cleanly after it warmed up some, and the fouled plug cleared. Changed the cars to new appropriate NGK Iridium's and the problem has never come back. Some plugs foul fairly easily.

I also use a fuel system cleaner fluid every several gas fillings, so I'm sure that helps.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Not sure about the stuttering, but for the CSI issue try going through these steps to check out he various sensors:

L-jetronic Fuel Injection Technical Troubleshooting Article

Sounds like you might have an issue with your Thermotime (TTM) sensor or your Coolant Temp Sensor (CTS). Do you get any different behavior when trying to do a cold start vs. a hot start? Are you sure that you connected everything back up and put the connectors on the correct sensors? Also check to make sure your Aux Air Valve (AAV) is connected up.

Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts