Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the amount of fuel injection information on here is great, but can be overwhelming. So many suggestions on what the possibilities could be.

Up until a few days ago my 1987 Milano 2.5 was bullet proof.

Unfortunately it sat all day in blinding rainstorm. After letting sit day, it did start and ran perfectly.

Now it starts, runs for one second and dies. You get about 3 tries and then it just cranks. Have to let sit for awhile, then process repeats.

The only thing I noticed prior to all this was after 20 minutes of driving the oil pressure indicator would be at Zero (no light on though) continued to run fine. No indication of any problems

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Yes it does have fuel in it.

Thanks
Brad

·
Registered
491 Posts
A couple of items to check:

1. Does the fuel pump run with the key on, engine off? If not check all the appropriate fuses.

2. Does it continue to run while you crank the engine?

3. Check out the Jetronic troubleshooting guide from here: L-jetronic Fuel Injection Technical Troubleshooting Article

4. Unless the car was submerged or you have a serious leak to the interior at the ECU I would doubt the rain had much to do with it.

Loss of oil pressure as indicated by the gauge is commonly found to be a faulty sending unit. Easy to verify with a mechanical type gauge.

It's also good to know there's more than one Milano in Iowa!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Just a note, "1. Does the fuel pump run with the key on, engine off? If not check all the appropriate fuses.", the fuel pump will only run in this situation if you push in the flapper on the air flow meter.

Sounds to me like you might only be running on the fuel from the cold start injector. I bet if you disconnect the wire to that it won't start at all. Which will tell you you have a fueling problem (i.e. the regular injectors are not firing). First thing I'd check if that is the case would be the combi-relay on the passenger side firewall.

Kevin

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kevin

Could you send me a picture of this combi-relay? I am pretty good with things when I know what I am looking for. Or what page a pic of it might be on the repair manual which I have. Seems folks use different terms that are what in my manual

I think you are right. The cold start process works just fine, but then when it needs to run "for real" then failure

Thanks

Brad

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
And if you are interested in how this beasty works check this out:

Double Relay Demystified

I've been thinking it would be cool to create a small circuit board with connectors for two regular relays to be able to replace/fix one of these more cheaply but I don't have the skills :)!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
14,808 Posts
I think that combo relays are more reliable than many people think. Do the test that kevin described - turn on the ignition, move the flapper in the AFM and see if the fuel pump runs. If it does then your problem lies elsewhere. If it does not run you could have a bad combo relay, or bad connections to the relay, or a bad microswitch in the AFM, or a blown or badly connected fuse (two), or a bad pump or bad connections to the pump. I have experienced all of them except a bad combo relay.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Do you have a sunroof? Check your ECU and surrounding area for signs of water intrusion or moisture. If you had a lot of rain chances are some got into the footwell where the ECU is. I've chased the exact "start for one second and die symptom" through the ENTIRE L-jet system to find out that the ECU failed...

Also, the coolant temp sensor will prevent the injectors from firing if it is unplugged.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Check big black intake hose

Connects to mass air flow sensor. If it has cracks, then air fuel mixture won't be right and car won't stay running. It'll konk out after a cpl of secs.

Take it off - two clamps. Inspect closely for dry rot or hairline cracks.

Reactions: MCain

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No sunroof. I think I have tracked it down to the AAV. Based on the info supplied on here mine was acting like the classic example of not opening up. It did start once when it got to be over 100 degrees out. Tells me the AAV opened up enough. Have one on order. WHen I took it off and put in freezer it did not open up at all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Milano Back Up and Running

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, but after reading the Bosch fuel injection documentation found on here it just seemed like the author was describing my situation perfectly.

Removed the AAV and cleaned it as best I could. Did the freezer trick followed by hot temps. No change in the opening size.

So I ordered a new Bosch AAV from the parts store($81). New hoses and clamps too.

Installed and it started right up and kept running.

Hooray. Now to tackle the inboard brakes on the GTV6. I just had a lift installed in my garage. Looking forward to using

Thanks

Brad

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Great news! The lift is a life changer, I've had one for a few years now, would find it hard to go back to not using one again!

Kevin

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good for you. Bet it was the hoses and clamps. Try loosening up those clamps, you will have the exact symptoms, been there on a Jetronic Spider.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts