Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'88 Milano, 2.5l.
New plugs, plug wires and fuel filter (left over from the maintenance I was supposed to do last year). All were installed after this problem started.
From a cold start the car starts on 1 or sometines 2 tries. Good idle, good acceleration.
After about 10 minutes from a cold start it "stutters" on acceleration. Idle is a little rough. On a recent drive I had to drive it 25 miles back home. The "stuttering" cleared up after 2-3 miles of freeway driving. I have not tried to duplicate this. That was a little spooky trying to get the car up to freeway speed on a busy day.
After off for an hour or more it will return to the cold start condition, just fine.
Suggestions???

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip Kevin,
Looks like I have some homework to do. Be back in a few days.
345,000 miles, 1 engine rebuild and now the thing starts giving me problems. Darn I-Talian cars. Unreliable for sure. Right after I got it in '94 a frayed wire in the distributor caused me headaches. And now this.

For about 20 years now I have always wondered what all those electric type things all around the engine did. . . . . .

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I am having similar issues on my verde. Coming back from work on the first mile I stopped at the light then on the take off the car sputtered like something cutting all of the sudden. Next day car starts and does the same thing and now no start and I am getting intermittent spark but much worst from before. The coil is good but I am thinking something is wrong with the distributor mechanism itself.
Any ideas?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,505 Posts
Giorgio: check the wiring to the hall effect sender on the distributor: if that comes loose or the wires to it are dodgy (very common) it'll cause spark problems.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
+1 on the distributor.
Same symptoms 15 yrs ago. After getting stuck several times I fixed it with a MasterCard and 2 days at an Alfa shop.
I baby that connector still.
I'm gonna start the Diagnostics in the morning for my problem. Maybe a sensor gets hot and fails. This morning it started on first crank, lots of motor reving as I moved the Milano into the garage. Looks like I'll have to warm it up first

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, only had a few minutes to check stuff yesterday. First: Grounds.
The big ground connection on the passerger side valve cover was a little loose. Tightened it up.
No change. It started and ran great for 10 minutes. Stopped it for a minute. Restart and the "stutter" returned.
Out of time to work on it for a few days. We have a day tour Saturday with the Club so the Alfetta GT is in the garage for a once over and a wax Friday. Saturday morning we will cover about 150 miles to get a 50 mile drive done. Lunnch at some new members house out in Palmdale.

Too many Alfa Club events this weekend for us in So Cal. The Central Cal Club is heading to Camarillo Airport Saturday to look at a plane restoration center. I thought there was a WWII bomber being worked on. Maybe next time.
Back to the Milano next week. I'll follow the L-Jet guide 1 step at a time.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Replaced the distributor with a good used one and still no spark. Supposedly the used one I bought its an good running condition but I have no proof of that.
Is there any way you can test the wiring that goes to the distributor if there is juice coming.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Milano project on hold

Well life is getting in the way of fixing the Milano for another week.
My Alfetta GT starts each morning and drives just fine so I am not Alfa-less.
Maybe after the start of November.
Darth, do you hear this?? Soon I will need your diagnostic assistance.
Georgio68: how are you doing on yours?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Paul it doesn't look like its the distributor. When engine cold "ignition switch on" I am having high voltage of spark (draining spark) from the coil wire test on cam cover for few seconds then nothing.

If you turn the key off then back on again nothing, but if you wait few minutes same symptom lots of sparks then nothing.

I am suspecting the black box on the passenger foot well that controls the spark.
I will borrow one from a friend to see if that's what it is.

At the meantime I did enjoy my Berlina very much yesterday...so there is plenty of Alfa's to drive :sweatdrop:

Giorgio

·
Registered
671 Posts
Paul.
Below the ignition coil, there is a male two-eared ground tab mounted on the ignition amplifier module. One of the two wires attached is an ignition ground which, over time, will loosen slightly. When it does, the current arcs and puts more heat into the connector which will cause the same poor running condition you describe or as in my case, worse. Do check those female shovel connectors and see if it helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It runs!

Don't you fellow BBers hate it when someone starts a thread and forgets to post the solution. Those people should be banned. . . . . OH OH, that's me. Never mind the rant.
Solution:
A loose/crummy injector wire. Found #3 plug was fouled. Wiggled that connector, pushed around a wire and voila the car runs OK.
But this exercise did make me do a tour of the engine checking grounds and connectors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts