Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inner brake adjuster on passenger side goes round and round, plenty of pad left, outer adjuster was no problem.

Can a hammer fix it or do I need rebuilt calipers?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Inner brake adjuster on passenger side goes round and round, plenty of pad left, outer adjuster was no problem.

Can a hammer fix it or do I need rebuilt calipers?
Isn't the passenger side adjuster reverse threads? Double check you are going the right direction. I'm sure somebody can jump in and clarify.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,477 Posts
Driver's side inner adjuster is the one that's reversed from the others.

Rear Brake Pad Installation

It's been a long time since I had the caliper apart, but I don't *think* there's a way for the inner adjuster to get detached from the screw that connects to the piston. It's possible that the screw has come detached from the piston perhaps? Maybe press inward on the piston while turning the adjuster in the "retract piston" direction (which on the passenger side inner adjuster would be clockwise, I think). This should reattach it if that's the problem.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Could the piston come off the adjuster screw? Theoretically yes but this is how far out it would stick, past the the O ring. It doesnt look like it could as it would have to be past the other caliper half. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,477 Posts
Could the piston come off the adjuster screw?
It's happened to me on the *outside* adjuster, due to the reasonably common occurrence of the c-clip being missing from the adjuster screw.

Not sure if it could happen on the inside, but that's the only thing I can think of. I don't think the external adjuster screw can come out of mesh with the threaded rod that goes into the piston, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From all this information, links and pics from NMMilano, I'm beginning to think the inside pass side adjuster is stripped. The gap on that one pad is huge. We are not looking forward to installing rebuilt calipers.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,477 Posts
I dunno, man. Those gears are pretty stout for the loads they carry. But I don't know what else to tell you.

At least give a try to pushing firmly in on the piston while turning the adjuster, see if it reattaches. I don't doubt the pics, but bear in mind that (IIRC) there's also a self-adjusting mechanism inside the piston that connects the piston to the threaded shaft. If that's fully pushed into the piston it's possible that the shaft could come detached with the piston farther in than those pics show.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys. I did as suggested, pushed the piston while turning the adjuster and it worked! All pads are adjusted properly and I now have only 4 clicks on the hand brake to set it. Onto the next projects: leaky power steering hose, ABS light.....

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,477 Posts
Great - glad that worked! I figured that was the only way for it to come detached.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts