Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, now on more hypothetical questions if you were to set up a milano as a rally car how would you build it suspension chassis stiffening and engine?

·
Registered
1979 Alfetta MM
2,089 Posts
The Alfetta's were rallied with some success, same chassis so it shouldn't be that difficult.
I'd be worried about the low exhaust and install some big skid plates.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ehh i was thinking frp where i can and just have straight pipes out the sides and a steel plate under the trans and engine. But a necessity indeed.

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Alfetta MM
2,089 Posts
The problem with the exhaust is where it curves under the cross member as it comes out of the engine compartment so even side exit won't help with that.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,388 Posts
Always thought they might have done a better job of routing the exhaust on the Milano. Very tight front and rear.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hello everyone, now on more hypothetical questions if you were to set up a milano as a rally car how would you build it suspension chassis stiffening and engine?
Depending on whether you stick with torsion bars or go to coil spring instead, the primary function of the roll cage should be to reinforce the chassis so that it better deals with the suspension forces.
So the roll cage should be directly attached to the rear spring points (notice that the red 75 track car didn't do this). And the cage should go thru the firewall and attach to the 4 major box sections in the engine bay. All roll cage points that go to suspension spring bearing points of the chassis should be triangulated so that the spring forces are fed into the verticle legs of the cage withould any horizontal legs flexing unduly.

From Buzzed's thread about his twin-charged Afetta GT: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/eng...upercharged-turbocharged-phase-3-700hp-3.html
I made some suggestions about potential changes to his cage design. Note that these are only my opinion:

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depending on whether you stick with torsion bars or go to coil spring instead, the primary function of the roll cage should be to reinforce the chassis so that it better deals with the suspension forces.
So the roll cage should be directly attached to the rear spring points at the rear (notice that the red 75 track car didn't do this). And the cage should go thru the firewall and attach to the 4 major box sections in the engine bay. All roll cage points that go to suspension spring bearing points of the chassis should be triangulated so that the spring forces are fed into the verticle legs of the cage withould any horizontal legs flexing unduly.

From Buzzed's thread about his twin-charged Afetta GT: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/eng...upercharged-turbocharged-phase-3-700hp-3.html
I made some suggestions about potential changes to his cage design. Note that these are only my opinion:
Exactly what i would have done, actually id take off the front clip entirerly full tube frame that would have the body panels on, secondly id lift it a few inches, and this is seriously going to piss of alooooooooot of people but id actually scrap the entire de deion system, and swap in a porsche set up out of a 944.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
id actually scrap the entire de deion system, and swap in a porsche set up out of a 944.
You keep ragging on the Dedion rear end, but the fact is, it performs better than the (standard geometry) front suspension does.
It'd be much easier to fit an Alfa engine to a Porsche 944 than it would be to make the 944 suspension fit an Alfa 75 chassis............. :eek:nline2long:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
id actually scrap the entire de deion system, and swap in a porsche set up out of a 944.
You keep ragging on the Dedion rear end, but the fact is, it performs better than the (standard geometry) front suspension does.
It'd be much easier to fit an Alfa engine to a Porsche 944 than it would be to make the 944 suspension fit an Alfa 75 chassis.............
I dont think itd be fair to destroy them in rally cross jumps, ahahah plus porsche made decent trannys compared to the Alfa glass ones ahahah but id have to see a de dion in a rally to be sure of it, plus coilovers man coilovers. Cant do that to the alfa plus id hate to get ripped off by these guys selling "performance parts".

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I dont think itd be fair to destroy them in rally cross jumps, ahahah plus porsche made decent trannys compared to the Alfa glass ones ahahah but id have to see a de dion in a rally to be sure of it, plus coilovers man coilovers. Cant do that to the alfa plus id hate to get ripped off by these guys selling "performance parts".
You've lost me?????
Transaxle Alfa's have been rallied all over the world.
Yes the Alfa transaxle is far from bullet proof, but that's a different subject all together.

And 'Coilovers'................... :eek:nline2long:
You do resalise that any car with McPherson strut suspension has 'COILOVER'S', don't you?
Spring and damper tuning comes down to a whole lot more than some generic terminology. And just because you could buy some some cheap **** 'coilover' doesn't mean that the car actually works better.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
And 'Coilovers'................... :eek:nline2long:
You do resalise that any car with McPherson strut suspension has 'COILOVER'S', don't you?
Spring and damper tuning comes down to a whole lot more than some generic terminology. And just because you could buy some some cheap **** 'coilover' doesn't mean that the car actually works better.
Well said.

A local lad fitted "coilovers" to his MX5. I think it cost him about £250 for the set. So you can imagine how good they are. I thought he'd won them in a game of bingo, they looked so cheap and nasty.

Still, they did allow him to lower the car to the point where it's riding on the bumpstops so it's now completely useless.

But it "looks good" and he "got coilovers".

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You've lost me?????
Transaxle Alfa's have been rallied all over the world.
Yes the Alfa transaxle is far from bullet proof, but that's a different subject all together.

And 'Coilovers'...................

At duk, who said cheap? Last time i checked having a classic car is far from cheap, but that being said, adjustable suspension is by far impossible on these cars, and who the ****s uses torsion bars in the 1980s, honest the e30 had a decent suspension set up, plus id at least know my spring rates and dampers...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And 'Coilovers'...................

Well said.

A local lad fitted "coilovers" to his MX5. I think it cost him about £250 for the set. So you can imagine how good they are. I thought he'd won them in a game of bingo, they looked so cheap and nasty.

Still, they did allow him to lower the car to the point where it's riding on the bumpstops so it's now completely useless.

But it "looks good" and he "got coilovers".
Ehhh id debate both of you on this but im out numbered as you two seem a bit on the traditional side.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
At duk, who said cheap? Last time i checked having a classic car is far from cheap, but that being said, adjustable suspension is by far impossible on these cars, and who the ****s uses torsion bars in the 1980s, honest the e30 had a decent suspension set up, plus id at least know my spring rates and dampers...
Motion ratios and natural frequencies.

If you acknowledge that older cars cost money, then what is the problem with an individually engineered answer, especially as you are already talking about custom roll cage installations???

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Motion ratios and natural frequencies.

If you acknowledge that older cars cost money, then what is the problem with an individually engineered answer, especially as you are already talking about custom roll cage installations???
Im saying the difference between having to buy x oil vs super cheap oil cause toyota reliability that kind of thing and roll bars are childs play, custom suspension, thats eccentric millionaire with a penchant for the odd car out or person whose never heard of the joyous ability to have new parts actually come up in a search bar... but then again this threads about hypotheticals like how hypothetically Alfa romeo made a easy car to work with.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.