Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay -

I go to get a bbq sandwich. "Dolce", my Alfa 75, is running great. I get the sandwich and get back in the car. It will NOT start. It turns over, but will not start. No hiccup...NOTHING. I unplug the Air Flow Meter and attempt to crank it. Nothing. I plug the Air Flow Meter back in, it cranks and runs like brand new.

Does ANYONE have ANY theories as to what the &%^$ is happening here....Never have I had Bosch fail me in this way.

Thanks
-CB

·
Registered
980 Posts
I seem to remember this coming up on the Alfa Digest, some time ago...now I can't totally remember...maybe someone else is familiar with what I am talking about. Have you tried searching the archives there?

Sounds like something is up with the AFM (obviously)...what happens if you unplug it, then plug it back in...not try to crank it with it unplugged?

Ted

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Perhaps it was simply a dirty electrical connection that 'cleaned itself' when the AFM connector was removed and installed. Cleaning all the connector plug contacts with an electrical cleaner certainly wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luckily there are some AFM's for sale on Ebay and I'm high bidder on one. I think the AFM is sending a set of data to the computer that it cannot handle.

As for trying it without the crank attempt in the middle, I'll give that a shot next time it does this. Which is about once per week.

Thanks
-CB

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'Computer' may give it too much dignity....it is a bosch engine management system which "computates" ignition mapping, fuel mixture, etc.

I agree with you...it should be bad all the time. The only common denominator is unplugging and re-plugging the AFM.....I'm just as confused.

--CB

·
Supporting Vendor
4,369 Posts
Crowbar,

Maybe your Milano was just trying to tell you it would rather you go out for a nice Capicolla sandwich than a BBQ :)

Seriously, if you don't have any luck with the eBay AFM, let me know. I have some spares that I could lend for troubleshooting.

Joe

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Had a similar no start problem with my Milano about a month ago, but I didn't mess with the AFM. After letting the car sit with the hood up while checking grounds, etc for a few minutes, it restarted. This happened twice.

Turned out that the plug wires, while not worn, were very old, & the coil wire was leaning against the oil/vapor seperator. When underhood temps got high enough, the coil wire would arch to the oil/vapor seperator thus killing the spark. I simply moved the coil wire away, & the car ran fine (albeit with a slight miss) until I was able to get a new set of Magnecors.

That may not be your problem, but it's simple enough to check. If it's not, start with the basics. Carry a timing light with you, & the next time you have that no start condition, hook the timing light up & crank the car. If the timing light works, you know you have a fuel problem, if not, you know you have an ignition problem. That will at least point you in the right direction, & it's very easy to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts