Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 1987 Milano Platinum on Ebay (item # 200562597410) with 33,000 original miles. Ebay seller is AlfaDan in Gervais Oregon. Anyone know him or have any idea what he wants for the car? It looks about as perfect as you can get for 33 yrs old.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It was listed a few weeks ago with a fairly high buy it now prices ($8,000 more or less). The bidding did not get quite that high.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Someone is going to have a winner. Sounds like the water pump/timing belt will be due soon.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Milano

I am personally familiar with this car, have worked a little bit on it for the owner, who is a friend, and also know Dan Sommers well, who is selling the car on Ebay for the owner. Both Dan & the owner are long time Alfa guys & stalwarts of the local Alfa club, AROO. Both are stand up individuals who would not mislead anyone. If anything the car is very under represented, it's really much better in person than the photos can possibly show.

BTW, other than knowing both these guys & being familiar with the car, I have no personal interest in it. Hell, I'd buy it myself if I was in the market for a Milano, or even if I had some garage space & a bit of spare car funds. None of either right now. Wife says one of the present fun cars has to go B4 another takes up residence in the garage. (In her defense, all 3 bays are filled up with my fun cars, she has to park outside in the cold.)

This car won it's class in the 2009 convention here in Portland, nothing else was even close.

Essentially a time warp car, you'd have to look very hard to see anything that doesn't look brand new. Aside from a few mechanical parts that I think Dan has replaced, it should be all factory original.

I took it for a spirited test drive a few years ago, drove like a brand new car, tight, no rattles or squeaks, shifted well (for a Milano), engine sounded great & handled well.

This is by far the cheapest Milano anyone could ever buy. Hands down. I don't know or care what it will sell for, it doesn't matter, it will still be the cheapest Milano in the world. You won't have to put any money into it for years. Just drive it & enjoy it. I don't really know what the market is like for Milanos, or have any idea what they sell for, but this car simply does not have any relevance to the run of the mill Milano market.

Who ever gets this car in the Ebay auction will just be thrilled when they see it in person as it arrives at their home. If it were me, I'd fly to Portland & drive it home, the present owner drove back from Arizona to Portland no problem, I think he only had to replace the battery on the way back.

Whoever gets it, let us know what you think when you pick it up & get a chance to drive it.

Bruce

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have to say, I am really interested in this car. Ironic, if I do buy it, it's driving back to AZ. Do you know if it has AC and if so, is the AC functioning?

Any thoughts on Milano vs 164?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Milano

When I drove the car a few years ago in the summer the A/C worked fine, I think A/C was standard on Platinums if I remember correctly. I don't imagine anyone would order a new car from the dealer in AZ without A/C. First owner lived in AZ & it resided there until 3 or 4 years ago.

Bruce

·
Supporting Vendor
4,415 Posts
Any thoughts on Milano vs 164?
They are very different cars, and are in different size classes so they wouldn't often be directly compared. However, they are both fun to drive and uniquely Alfa. It really depends on what you are looking for. The 164 is by far the better highway car, and much roomier. I personally think the Milano is a better car for back-roads fun driving.

This Platinum is intriguing. Platinums in general don't get the credit they deserve, as the Verde model sort of stole their thunder as the top of the line Milano. The Platinum was intended to be the "luxury" trim level. The leather and suede interior is *really* nice when not worn out, and the "wineglass" wheels are a nice period look, if a bit fragile. This one looks to be in fantastic shape and would make a great car for someone.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I looked at the car last summer and because the price was $8,750 back then, I did not drive the car. The seller told me the a/c did not blow cold. There was some damage to the right front fender lip and a few door dings here and there that the pictures don't show. The headliner sags behind the sunroof just like all Milanos do. Under the hood, the alternator nut had fallen off and the bolt was coming out and one of the power steering bolts was missing as well. Mostly though, it looked like a nice original car and I would have purchased it if the price was more in line with what the owner paid for it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. Have to pass on the car. Life and wife are intervening to mess up my budget.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts