Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay all, last nite driving my 87 QV home i noticed my music getting quieter .
My mind immediatly went to electrical gremlins but my car is solid and doesnt flash much ARC . Comming to a stop i realize its not m y music but my exhuast getting louder. so after the tell tale BUZZZZZZZZ on take off i figured my guts have rotted out on my rear pipe. get her home an yup no hole everything is intact down there so i give my tail pipe a shake and OUCH sounds like a rain stick in there. so my question is, How long can i drive her like this , what kind of damage can i do if any and accelarating past 3500 you can just feel her plugged right up so i am keeping her in low revs where i can feel she breathing ok.
How long till i blow somthing up and i am just started to back fire down hills in like 3rd and fourth with my foot off the clutch, just little pup pups not the dreaded sharp REEEEHT RHEEET POP POP POP POP sounds.

Whats a good sounding rear replacement, i was thinking a SS Magnaflow.

Ps what is the reserve fuel tank capacity in a milano qv.

thanks let me know guys!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry i suffer from Schizo-effective disorder which makes it hard for me to talk or type slowley i appologize for my fast sentances in advance. Just want to knowif i am going to hurt my baby or she will be okay. Thanks

·
Registered
296 Posts
It is like when you wake up in the middle of the night needing to pee. Part of you just wants to ignore it and go back to sleep. But you know that's not going to work so you might as well just get up and get it over with.

Might as well just order the replacement now 'cause you are going to have to do it soon anyway.

I think Centerline has had Magnaflow systems made up for our cars. Give them a call.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,414 Posts
If the matrix in the catalytic converter has been damaged, then YES, you want to fix this right away as it can cause major damage if it plugs up completely. This is a likely scenario given the symptoms you describe. The mufflers in the system typically don't plug the exhaust when they fail.

If the cat matrix has indeed come apart and/or plugged up, you also want to figure out WHY it failed. It is possible that it failed due to old age but not likely. An excessively rich mixture can destroy or melt even a new catalytic converter quickly.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Just throw $400 or so at it and replace the whole cat back. I had to do it on mine, the cat was fine, but both mufflers sounded like a coffee can full or rocks when you shook them. It ran much better with the new exhaust. lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea its not my cat or my engine and the center pipe sounds fine as well but the rear is toast absolute toast.
Magnaflow here i come......calling my welder buddy tomorrow.

Ansa arent actually that bad priced either and they sound so gooooooooood.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Are you sure the center muffler is ok? I thought mine was, but when I took it off it wasnt. The ansa doesnt sound very good unless you get the center section too. I think performatek has CSC exhaust parts avaiable for the same price as the ansa stuff also.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i blasted noisily down to my buddys shop threw it up on the hoist and yea the center is fine but pretty bashed so ill just do it anyways good news is the cat is fine and everything else looks good from under neath guibos etc the worst is a lil body rot around my floorboards and a wheel well, much better underneath than i thought she was going to be.
might get n and m to install it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well was driving home and boom i found an alfa service shop on kingsway in vancouver i dropped in and he found two used exhaust puieces 90 dollors later i was in business again,

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah the 40 dollor used rear split on the roll seam ....so still looking for a rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts