Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

I just recently got my Milano project on the road and as I'm driving, it's making a loud howling noise. The noise is almost non-existent at idle but grows as the engine revs increase. The noise also seems to be worse when under heavier load. It seems to be coming from directly underneath the car, maybe slightly towards the front. I'm thinking either driveshaft seal or one of the rubber donuts, but want to verify before throwing (more) money at it.

I just took this terrible video to capture the sound:

Is this the sound of a driveshaft that needs to be rebuilt?

Thanks,
Diet

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Does the noise change with engine rpm or road speed?

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Might be the center drive shaft support bearing.. It is hard to tell from the sound in the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might be the center drive shaft support bearing.. It is hard to tell from the sound in the video.
Thanks. That's what I was wondering. I'll get the car over a pit this weekend and find the bearing - is there a test that can be performed to verify that the bearing is indeed bad?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Pull your alternator, power steering, and A/C belt off and see if the noise continues.

If it is ENGINE speed related first eliminate the possibility of engine accessories. Then move to the driveshaft. A stethoscope may prove helpful if it's is able to be replicated without driving the car on the road.

If it is coming from the center of the car you can use a stethoscope with a friend to poke around on the floor and see where the noise comes from.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I did once have a water pump howl like mad on the GTV6..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pull your alternator, power steering, and A/C belt off and see if the noise continues.

If it is ENGINE speed related first eliminate the possibility of engine accessories. Then move to the driveshaft. A stethoscope may prove helpful if it's is able to be replicated without driving the car on the road.

If it is coming from the center of the car you can use a stethoscope with a friend to poke around on the floor and see where the noise comes from.

Thanks for the suggestions. It has no A/C or power steering but I will try disconnecting the alternator and re-testing. I'll also give the stethoscope method a shot. I hadn't thought of that idea at all.

Thanks,
Seth

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Standing outside of the car is it louder in the front or near the center?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sounds louder when not under load. Any change with sl turning of the wheel to left or right.
Regardless sounds like a bearing noise and I would get a T scope and check drive shaft bearings and wheel bearings if noise changes with steering changes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts