Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

A week or so ago, after I took my car out of the shop, it ran out of brake fluid... totally. I found that the rear right inboard braker adjuster was dripping fluid. However, I replaced that caliper with a freshly rebuild one only 6 months ago and I was extra careful to not bottom out the adjuster in either direction because I had heard of the "sensitive" seals. Today I got some time to work on the car so I tried spinning the adjuster to see if it would simply reseat itself and instead of doing its job, it just threaded out WITH EASE.

After this happened, all of the brake pressure which had been lost was regained even with the adjuster out. I replaced the adjuster being careful to make sure the snap ring was seated all of the way around.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could the snap ring been not entirely seated when it came from the rebuilder? Will simply pushing it back in solve the problem? What should be done?

Tomorrow I will dry it all of and set up some clean cardboard to see if it is still leaking and get some pictures if they are needed. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Miguel

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope,it was the inboard adjuster, it has a snap ring to hold it and the sealing washer in place.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is the inboard adjuster which uses a 7mm wrench, faces backward, and is closest to the transaxle. It also has a snap ring which holds it inside of the port it sticks out of, the snap ring fits inside of a groove which goes around the rim of the port. Is there any way that it could have been out of this groove from the rebuilder? Could have it been forced out of place by an incorrectly adjusted parking brake? Im 95% sure that I adjusted it proproperly (according to the International Auto Parts instructions) so I shouldnt have pinched any of the internal o-rings.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,492 Posts
Sure, rebuilder could've screwed up the snap ring. Heck, I got a rebulit Milano rear caliper where the rebuilder forgot to install the o-rings between the caliper halves!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, but I got these rebuilts from Performatek and from what I have heard, theyre a pretty reliable source.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,492 Posts
Fair enough, but mistakes get made. Anyway, IIRC that clip is all that holds the inner adjuster in.

The only other thing I could think is if one of the inner seals has failed, maybe there was enough fluid pressure leaking to pop the adjuster out of the clip? I guess I'd try buttoning everything up, start the car (so you have brake boost) and stomp on the brakes for a while, make sure it stays seated and doesn't leak.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Alright, so this morning I tried your idea Tom, and it seemed to work alright. The brake pressure was low and had to be pumped up alot, however it might just need to be bled as the leak drained the whole system. I also noticed that there were some brake fluid drips on the valve cover below the master cylinder, might be jus my shaky pouring but who knows. I put some cardboard down to see if it started dripping after I left so ill check it after I get out of school and see where we are at.

Thanks,

Miguel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts