Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: where is it?! Not under the trunk carpet, and without completely removing the side carpets (as per manual although it doesn't say which side!) I haven't found it there either... Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,865 Posts
On the top of the tank (which is behind the rear seat), in the middle toward the back. Is shown as such in the Fiat parts eper.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Del. So a quick exploration seems to indicate that the seat backs pop loose and can be removed? And that frees up the seat bottom?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Access is behind the carpet in the trunk. Pretty easy to get to. Take your time removing the plastic retaining clips. They break easily.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the carpet that backs the rear seat backs? The section with the embossed plastic Alfa logo on it? Do the rear seat backs still have to fold forward? Thanks!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK; so there must be a cavity behind the carpet. And I have plenty of experience with 30 year old plastic parts that break when you look at them!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just replaced my tank a few weeks ago. I should have taken pictures. Once you get that carpet out, it will be very easy to see how it's all in there. Maybe half hour job total to replace that fuel sender.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My fuel gauge never registers completely full, even when I fill up the tank; only reaches about 3/4. I want to clean the leads on the sender first before considering other fixes...

·
Registered
66 Posts
The sender is extremely uncomplicated. The one pulled from the tank I replaced was so gummed up it couldn't move freely inside the containing tube. That may be the issue, which should be pretty easy to diagnose if you actually pull the whole thing out.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like a check valve of some kind; I was able to remove the carpet (tricky if its your first time) and clean the electrical connector to the sender. The fuel gauge moved higher than where it was stuck at 3/4, so I'll keep an eye on it. How on earth do you remove the sender? There are no visible fasteners! Does it just twist off? I also replaced the 10mm braided cloth hose from the canister to the tank, and tightened all the clamps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sender is twist off. I had to use a rubber mallet and a long flathead to gently "help" the rotational force get started. There is a gasket between the sender and the tank that has a tendency to get stuck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts