Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why can't I seem to find then in the US?:confused: Any suggestions of a source would be a great help.

BTW, anyone ever fabricated their own from rubber gasket sheet (NAPA's 1/16 rubber sheet) and a template?:p

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
27,528 Posts

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Fabricated some from inner tube acquired from local truck stop when I could not locate any 5 years ago. They actually sealed pretty well, no water in door cavity after washing or rain. And they were trimmed close enough you cant tell from the outside. If you spray handles (same paint from Q or S lower cladding) and wrap around strip it really brings the cars lines out.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Listed but ...

Alfisto Steve - Di Fatta does have it listed but according to them it was discontinued several years ago and nothing seems to be available from their European suppliers. Still listed although - hmmm...:confused:

AlfaAddict - the inner tube sounds like a possible solution as I was concerned that the NAPA rubber gasket might be too thin. Thanks for the suggestion:rolleyes:

·
Registered
659 Posts
They're definitely an NLA item, and a very rare and sought after one at that for factory items.

I remember seeing a Ebay about 12 months ago go for about $100AUD (~$87USD). That's crazy for four little gaskets.

I think this is something that someone could really benefit from by creating an alternative replacement out of modern materials that will last.

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
They're definitely an NLA item, and a very rare and sought after one at that for factory items.

I remember seeing a Ebay about 12 months ago go for about $100AUD (~$87USD). That's crazy for four little gaskets.

I think this is something that someone could really benefit from by creating an alternative replacement out of modern materials that will last.

ROCK ON
R~R
I would certainly be in for a set if someone could do it. I put Silastic on mine as a temporary fix. It is OK if you don't look too closely. I also thought about using rubber but haven't got around to trying it yet.

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
I need some of these too. Does anybody have a single "new" one they could loan so I could take measurements and do the CAD? I would like to pay my buddy to cut a mold and we should be able to do a small run of them. I would send it back within a week.

Come to think about it, aren't the door lock gaskets equally as hard to find and in just as bad of condition? Putting them in the same mold would be easy.

The biggie question is what is the material and what can do the trick better? The stock stuff looks like the old crappy pressed paper gasket material. A softer rubber-like plastic should be much better. I'll check with my product designer buddy and I am sure he'll have the best solution... he always does:)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
G'Day Guys,

They're made from rather brittle hard plastic, I have two brand new ones which broke during storage (I wasn't careful enough).

I have tried making a quick mould (mold to the US) from plasticine and making a copy from silicon but it was too thin. A real two piece mould and anaerobic cure (and stiffer) rubber is required.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got one!!!

Loach1, Franz,

Got a intact one I was going to use as a template on some inner tube but ...:eek:

Who's up for CADing? Any idea what the cost would be?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
If these could be made for under $75 for all for, I'm interested.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'd be doing the CAD (easier to get my buddy to mill parts if I provide CAD and then he only has to tweak the machine paths). No idea on cost as it would all be out of pocket for me for materials and machine time. Off the top of my head I am thinking of making a "kit" with 4 gaskets and 2 doorlock gaskets too! I can't guarantee pricing but looking at the fact that a)they are unavailable, b)I need a set too, c)the world needs them... this seems like a worthy project that is small enough and doable. I saw the price of $87USD mentioned above and this is what I have seen on the open market like on ebay too. Freakin' crazy if you ask me and I would like to think the "kit" could be made and sold for less than half that which i personally would consider more reasonable.

The toughy part is getting in on his busy schedule. He is a product designer for a large company everybody here knows of and his time is whacked. The convenience is that he has a Haas CNC mill in his garage and lives around the corner from me:) The sooner I can get solid CAD, the quicker it would be to bust out parts. As for materials, it would be something equivalent or superior to OEM and I would completely defer to his judgment on that.

RAGs, is that "in tact" or "new"? I kind of need new if I am to get accurate measurements.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know the original design has a lip that goes all the way around the outside of the handle, but other than keeping the original look, is it really needed? I was thinking of using flat stock and cutting inner and outer profiles with a waterjet to make something that would do the job. I'd prefer the original look, but it requires moulding or machining. If someone can do it, count me in for a set.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know I would be interested in 2, maybe 3 full sets (always like to have spairs of the hard to find stuff). Sadly, I don't have a nice specimen to replicate from.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The lip is what holds it in place and flush with the handle itself. Without it, I'm not sure how well it would go, it sounds like you'd spend 3 days trying to get it into place, and then any movement would have it sliding around.

If someone is willing to spend the time and some money on a prototype without the lip they could test it and see how it goes (like Tim Spruill and the gas caps) it could work, but otherwise probably best to keep it similar to the original design. If it can be made out of a better material that's logner lasting and harder wearing it would be even better. Paying $100 for gaskets made of brittle material that can break on installation is a bit ridiculous in my eyes, both in price and quality.

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well ...

The one I have was never installed, and the material is sill quite pliable and supple.:) It has, however, been in a tool drawer since the dawn of time and not tucked between a couple of down pillows for protection from the stray wrench.:D

That being said, all the groves, lips and ridges are fine. Since I’m probably the last person on earth w/o a digital camera (working on it:eek:), I’ll try to post a pic asap.

·
Registered
738 Posts
...and the material is sill quite pliable and supple.:)
YGPM.

BTW, Second time this week I have seen the use of the word "supple". Only the first time it was in a large group e-mail and the poster meant to say "subtle". I explained that the word he used was best to describe nice breasts (and apparently gaskets)... he got the picture:D

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update...

All,

I'll send my sample out to Fraz for the initial CADing, and we'll keep you posted.:eek:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
All,

I'll send my sample out to Fraz for the initial CADing, and we'll keep you posted.:eek:
Sounds good. I will certainly be interested in some.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts