Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new-to-me-87 Milano from late '86 production. The center Giubo is getting flaky. Vick has two to choose from, but I don't know how to identify which one I need.

Their site says the crossover is at engine #205227. My engine # is A63223. I don't know if this is the original engine or not.

Is there any good way to figure out which donut I need? Is there an obvious visual way to tell the two apart?

Bob in Nashville
(Host of Citta Della Musica, the 2016 AROC National Convention!)

·
Premium Member
15,012 Posts
Be aware that there was a batch of bad center Giubo's. Centerline had some of them, don't know about Vick or whether any of them are still on shelves.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Just got one today! I'm stocking up, 2 Fronts & Rears and 1 center. I looked at the center and compare to an original, I have one of these as well.
The old one's are 24mm and the new ones are 28mm measured it. Bolt pattern matches. I believe this must be the BMW one, but
NONE are left. Perhaps taking a little off from each shaft end and the new one will fit 2mm, machine shop can do that or maybe the donut could be altered 4mm? But maybe the car has enough for the extra width?

BTW Ed love your George comment!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alfasrule, the center donut in my car measures about 45 mm thick, which appears to be the same as the rear one. The rear one has tabs on the front (driveshaft) side that mate with slots in the driveshaft flange. Otherwise the rear and middle look very much the same.

Any more info out there, or am I on my own?

Still in a quandary,
Bob in Nashville

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Center Donut is weird. They are skinny. The original is 7/8's of inch the new one I got is 1 & 1/16 inch. The front and rears are quite larger. Hate METRIC I'm MERICAN. LINK!

Propshaft

#11520 Front

#11522 Rear

#11521 Center

·
Registered
1979 Alfetta MM
2,086 Posts
. Otherwise the rear and middle look very much the same.

Any more info out there, or am I on my own?

Still in a quandary,
Bob in Nashville
The center should look like like 11521 in alfasrule picture. Not at all like the rear.
I would recommend doing them all since the most difficult part of the job is removing the drive shaft. My son and I are doing this to his car now and I told him the only way to do it is to do it all even if it means he has to wait to save enough money for all the parts. I would replace the carrier also and check the rear engine mount, if it's bad the rocking of the engine puts a lot of stress on the front donut. If you have trouble finding the front PM me and I can provide a link to an overseas source.
Please read this excellent article before you proceed Alfa Romeo Guibo, Driveshaft, Clutch Technical Troubleshooting Article

1 - 6 of 6 Posts