Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Milano Verde: Factory Manual states 2.4 quarts for diff/tranny. Mine took approx. 3.5 quarts up to the bottom of the fill hole (but maybe I spilled some/left a little in the oil siphon pump and hose...). What gives?
TIA

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
That's about the same mine took.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car and garage floor totally level. No tires flat. Question is: Fill to bottom of fill hole and be done with it, or put in exactly 2.4 quarts (which is well below the fill hole). If 2.4 quarts (well below the fill hole), then how would Alfa expect one to adequatley check gear oil level periodically per their standard maintenance schedule. I know GMC say take a rod and bend it, put through hole at 90 degrees down to see if fluid level is 8-10 mm below fill hole for their truck axles but Factory Alfa workshop manual is silent as to this. I'll go out and check the factory manual that came with the car though in their maintenance schedule section - it should have the procedure - after all it gives the "check level" interval there. In the meantime - feedback would be appreciated (to bottom of hole or 2.4 quarts).
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
From the manual (PA360500000003):

Remove the plug (1) and verify that oil level reaches the lower edge of the related hole. Top-up if necessary with the prescribed oil; clean plug and tighten it.

(PA360500000003 is the Alfa 90 manual which the Alfa 75 manual refers you to)

Alfa manuals (maybe excluding the Milano) give oil quantity's in kg (and lb's) in this case 2.07kg (4.56lbs).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK Here's what the original owners manual says on page 68 (box C):

"To check the gearbox/differntial oil level at the specified intervals, remove filler plug 1; oil level shoul (sic) be at the edge of the filler orifice. To change oil proceed as follows (when hot):
- Drain off old oil be removing drain plug 2
- Clean drain plug and refit it.
- Replenish with oil of the prescibed type (refer to inside backcover (sic)) through filler orifice; clean filler plug and fit it.

Note on page 68 there's no mention of "type and quanitity", just type. My 2 cents - I'll bet the tranny capacity is 2.4 quarts, while the diff capacity is approx. 1-1.5 quarts when mated with the manual trans. On Amsoil's online application guide they give fill capacities as follows:

Automatic Transmission, Initial Fill..........1.8 quarts[2][3]
Manual Transmission, ..........5.1 pints
Differential, Rear..........3.0 pints[4]

1. Add extra oil when replacing filter.
refill check oil level.
2. With ENG at operating temperature, shift through all
gears. Check fluid level in PARK and add fluid as needed.
3. Capacity does not include final drive.
4. W/ ATXL only, FINDR is included W/ MTXL capacity.

Note the manual tranny is about 2.5 quarts, the diff 1.5 quarts (albeit as a seperate quantity when mated with the auto trans). That comes up to 4 quarts approx. So, my fill of approx. 3.5 quarts may be about right up to the bottom of the filll plug with the manual trans.

Maybe it's a typo in the owners manual for the 2.4 quarts, and should be 3.4 quarts. I suppose I could find the density for the gear lube I'm using and convert the manual's 2kg/4.56lbs fill capacity to quarts...

Anyway, I'm just going to leave the fill capacity at the bottom of the fill plug like the owners manual page 68 says. By way, the factory service manual just says (so far as I can find thus far) to use the kg/lbs for fill capacity.

Oh yeah, the interval to check the gear oil level is at 15k miles, 45k miles, 75k miles etc. while gear oil change interval is at 30k, 60k, 90k miles etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts